The Dubai World Cup Races

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: The Dubai World Cup Races

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:43 am

dublino wrote:Ertijaal's narrow defeat was a costly one(doubles and trebles), broke even for the day with Spring loaded at Kempton and Clear Cut at Cork as well as Muarrab at Meydan.

Any $$$ made yourself TJ?

Ooops and I forgot Tepin's owner Robert Masterson another charming humble winner....

I enjoy attempting to handicap the World Cup....but I'm at a loss overall, since I truly don't know who's who over there, so never bother gambling, just watch them:>) I was impressed with the Japanese performance this year...they have some really nice horses. Certainly brings a good feel to international racing overall. Nothing like being invited to race in Dubai...they are the best hosts in the world. Absolutely nothing comes out of the pocket of the owners, trainers or help when invited over to race. All expenses are paid including shipping there and back...the only time you have to spend a penny is if you drink, otherwise it's all on the UAE. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:50 am

Cree wrote:Don't have to like the owners, just have to like the horse. Aren't we glad that Taylor Made has a percentage.... maybe they'll keep the sense in everyone with this horse.
That was a mighty impressive win, and although the owner is a jack a**, the horse is an absolute star.
I can't believe I ever thought he'd have trouble at 10 furlongs :-)

I am thoroughly convinced now that Frosted is a 9 furlong horse. He tried, but just not good enough that last furlong. It was nice to see Hoppertunity get his usual placing.

Hi Cree,
Frosted did not look comfortable during the running...he seemed to be climbing, didn't look like the same horse. California Chrome was absolutely amazing and if that win proves anything, it is that owners are not trainers. California Chrome would have been this good a long time ago had the Dumb Ass Partners kept their two cents out of the mix. They ruined that horse and Sherman and company were able to bring him back with the help of Taylor Made's contribution to Chromes rehab on the farm. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:58 am

Here's the Dubai World Cup replay. I wish American racing would use the same camera's they use in Dubai:>) TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ihAGhZ9K4

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:09 pm

I also really like the camera angles - they are quite fascinating. The race looks so much different from those angles.

After looking at some photos, I can't believe how much the saddle slipped on Chrome. Kudos to Victor and to Chrome for just going about their business.

Sorry dublino, for the 3rd. I am always impressed at how Hoppertunity runs a solid race every time - he doesn't win a lot and he's not fast. Aside a few 4ths and a 5th, he has been in the top 3 for 15 of 19 races. He was actually my Derby pick in year of the Chrome.

On a side note - for how dominating Chrome was, it's hard to erase the dominance Shared Belief had over him... what might have been :-(

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:03 pm

missed the drama..what did CC's owner do/say?? :twisted:
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:27 pm

Cree wrote:After looking at some photos, I can't believe how much the saddle slipped on Chrome. Kudos to Victor and to Chrome for just going about their business.

My jaw dropped when I saw that the girth had practically become a bucking strap. I'm super impressed that Victor stayed on board and Chrome didn't shift into bronco mode! That can't have been comfortable for either of them!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:33 am

Toccet02 wrote:missed the drama..what did CC's owner do/say?? :twisted:

Hi Toccet,
Here's the complete replay with Victor Espinoza, Art Sherman and Perry Martin interviews. It probably wasn't drama as much as it was ignorance on Perry Martins part. I think he is still trying to prove to the world it wasn't his fault that cost Chrome an entire season of suffering due to his mismanagement. Chrome practically turned to skin and bones and suffered foot ailments and bone bruises. He should have been more humble and grateful for winning, instead he spoke of worldwide lifetime earnings record's to break and having to beat a few Japanese horses to do it. Then "damns" Espinoza for a winning ride because he was wide throughout and just overall proving what little he understands in the business. He doesn't realize what Victor did to get this horse home after the saddle slipped shortly after the start from his outside post. It could have turned into a terrible tragedy for Chrome, Victor and who knows how many others in the race, that might have been involved had Chrome dumped Victor and took off bucking on the track in front of the field? The horse gods were with Chrome and Victor for sure yesterday:>) TJ

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_ ... -5-lengths

PS...Other comments from riders in the race:
Victor Espinoza: (California Chrome) “Turning for home, I couldn’t wait any longer and I had to go because I felt like the saddle was slipping, I was just trying to keep my balance and not move my body, I just kept looking forward and thinking ‘Where’s the wire’."
Christophe Soumillon: (Mubtaahij) “It was an excellent run. I had a nice position but California Chrome is just a superb horse,".
William Buick: (Frosted) “The race went well," said William Buick, the Godolphin jockey. “We were tracking California Chrome the whole way, but Frosted came off the bridle a little bit early. He wasn’t as good today and I’m not sure why."
Musabah Al Muhairi: (Trainer of Special Fighter) “I couldn’t have wished for a better effort from him," Al Muhairi said. “He ran a great race and had some of the better rated horses struggling."

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:20 am

In hindsight it was a masterful ride, keeping him clear and steady, and considering he was riding the horse's kidneys.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:46 pm

Cree wrote:In hindsight it was a masterful ride, keeping him clear and steady, and considering he was riding the horse's kidneys.

Hi Cree,
No doubt about that...he saved the day keeping a cool head under the circumstances. He moved up in my book big time:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:21 pm

They just released this video press conference with the Chrome connections. TJ
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... conference

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:27 pm

TJ wrote:Here's the Dubai World Cup replay. I wish American racing would use the same camera's they use in Dubai:>) TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ihAGhZ9K4

Me too. What an HD treat!

Thanks TJ; first I've seen the race...CC looked like he wasn't extending his hind legs so much at the end . . .dammit if he didn't seem like he was being careful to balance Victor in the last strides! (No I'm not saying he loves his jockey...but like he ddn't want the scary accident to occur). Smart athletic animal.

As for the owner drama...they had a wonderful small-time-guy story, and they blew it. The outburst after the Belmont was indefensible...especially the shutting down of the cooler-headed wife on national TV.

What can you do.

----Arrested Development

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:49 am

I thought this was the best ever performance by California Chrome, and probably the best ride on him by Victor.

As for Perry Martin, supposedly he was joking - risky if you're not experienced in media and public relations.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:10 pm

He wasn't joking.

----Arrested Development

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:39 am

Toccet02 wrote:As for the owner drama...they had a wonderful small-time-guy story, and they blew it. The outburst after the Belmont was indefensible...especially the shutting down of the cooler-headed wife on national TV.

I admit, even though it shouldn't matter, it really turned me off to California Chrome. He's a great racehorse, no doubt... but it did leave a bad taste.
And all of the Chromies ranting on FB after the race, about how he should have won the Crown... good grief. :roll:

I was bummed about Frosted, was hoping for more of an effort from him.

Kudos to Victor, what a ride! I can't imagine having to keep cool, knowing the saddle is about to fall off!