The GR I Florida Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Florida Derby

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Here's the entries and post positions for the GR I, 1 1/8th mile Florida Derby. Past Performances are not yet available, will post them as soon as they come out. We do have 3 surprise entries, but none form Pletcher:>) TJ

1 Sawyers Mickey (OH) Looch Racing Stables, Inc. Peter Walder Scott Spieth 30‐1
2 Fellowship (FL) Jacks or Better Farm, Inc. Stanley I. Gold Jose Lezcano 15‐1
3 Majesto (KY) Grupo 7C Racing Stable Gustavo Delgado Javier Castellano 20‐1
4 Nyquist (KY) Reddam Racing LLC Doug F. O'Neill Mario Gutierrez 6‐5
5 Copingaway (KY) Thoroughbred Champions   Jaime Mejia Miguel Vasquez 50‐1 Training Center LLC
6 Chovanes Gelfenstein Farm Jorge Navarro Edgard J. Zayas 20‐1
7 Takeittotheedge (KY) Bakster Farm LLC Dale L. Romans Tyler Gaffalione 20‐1
8 Fashionable Freddy (KY) My Meadowview Farm LLC Nicholas P. Zito Nik Juarez 30‐1
9 Mohaymen (KY) Shadwell Stable Kiaran P. McLaughlin Junior Alvarado 1
10 Isofass (FL) DB DOJO LLC Francis Abbott, III Julien R. Leparoux 30‐1

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR I Florida Derby

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:32 pm

Here's the past performances. TJ
Click on Mohaymen: http://www.kiaranmclaughlinracing.com/t ... risnet.cfm

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:49 am

Takeittotheedge doesn't have to improve much to be involved.

Strange decision with Nyquist to ship to florida for a $1m bonus, shows how cheap the owner is.

Mohaymen could take this on the way to the Tapit Derby err I mean Kentucky Derby. (Cupid, Lani, Mohaymen, am I missing one more?)
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:07 pm

Mohaymen
Takeittotheedge
Nyquist
Majesto

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:16 pm

dublino wrote:Takeittotheedge doesn't have to improve much to be involved.

Strange decision with Nyquist to ship to florida for a $1m bonus, shows how cheap the owner is.

Mohaymen could take this on the way to the Tapit Derby err I mean Kentucky Derby. (Cupid, Lani, Mohaymen, am I missing one more?)

Hi Dub,
Maybe Creator, with another placing in the Arkansas Derby? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:17 am

Mohaymen
Nyquist
Fellowship
Takeittotheedge

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:02 pm

Here's the finish: Time for the 1 1/8th a snappy 1:49.11 seconds in the off going.
Nyquist...romps!!
Majesto...easily 2nd best
Fellowship...3rd
Mohaymen...a very disappointing 4th.
Sawyers Mickey...5th for the super 5 payout.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:06 pm

To see the 2 horse and the 3 horse(who was put away twice by Mohaymen) close in the final 1/8 just tells me that Nyquist won't get the 10f of the Derby.

Mohaymen was badly caught wide and could have nearly come down on the first turn, he didn't get any favours from the 7, strange ride to keep him 4/5 wide down the back and make a move on the turn, Nyquist's rider seen this and carried Mohaymen even wider.

Not a Junior Alvarado fan even less so now, strange ride.
Edited by Moderator

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:31 pm

The rider on Mohaymen didn't look like he had any horse in the turn when he made a little move. The colt got hung out wide the whole trip and seemed to do more work than he needed to before the real running happened.
That being said, I don't think he was going to beat Nyquist either way. Nyquist was sharp and full of run. Can I still question his ability to go 10 furlongs...? I am still eager to see the other preps coming up. I am looking elsewhere from this race for my Derby horse.
Why was Nyquist going out in the stretch? and why did he go to the wrong lead? I can't say I am a huge fan of Guitierrez' riding.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:25 pm

Cree wrote:The rider on Mohaymen didn't look like he had any horse in the turn when he made a little move. The colt got hung out wide the whole trip and seemed to do more work than he needed to before the real running happened.
That being said, I don't think he was going to beat Nyquist either way. Nyquist was sharp and full of run. Can I still question his ability to go 10 furlongs...? I am still eager to see the other preps coming up. I am looking elsewhere from this race for my Derby horse.
Why was Nyquist going out in the stretch? and why did he go to the wrong lead? I can't say I am a huge fan of Guitierrez' riding.

Hi Cree,
In most cases when a horse "gets out" there's a problem brewing. It could possibly be that he was getting tired which can cause drifting, but if you remember we spoke about Nyquist receiving shock wave therapy before going into the BC Juvenile. In his 3YO debut at SA, he also drifted out as he did today. I'll Have Another received shock wave treatments as a 3YO prior to the Derby also...so this could be an instant replay if Nyquist goes back in for a tuneup? When we spoke about Nyquist's breeding to go the Derby distance, I mentioned how pedigree profiles are catching up to the many years of breeding for speed here in the States...we saw this in American Pharoah's pedigree as well and I'm going to give it less weight and rely on race performances.
Mohaymen was a terrible disappointment today...but I don't care how wide he was, he should have held 2nd. He broke from the outside in the Fountain of Youth and got knocked sideways into the 1st turn and he still won...today he proved he just isn't what McLaughlin thought he was. I'm sure he's better then this performance today, but as much as I like McLaughlin, he always seems to drop the ball at this point, with all his previous Derby contenders? Only possible excuse might be the off track today...but a true champion usually runs on anything? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:54 am

I don't know what to make of Mohaymen now. I didn't think he had a terrible trip, except being wide, he stayed out of trouble. When he made that move early on the final turn he did not look like he had much punch. And the rider was going to the whip coming off the turn. Maybe not his day? Maybe too hot/humid? Maybe a virus? McLaughlin is a wonderful trainer, but I agree with you - what goes on in his barn where they just don't move forward at this time of year?

Nyquist on the hand, does not want to lose.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:17 am

I thought Nyquist reminded me a little of AP... with his head bobbing running style, and a horse who sometimes ran just hard enough to stay ahead of the field in some of his races. Nyquist seems to want to win! So I'm wondering if Nyquist had gas left in the tank, or if he was almost tapped out. Guess we'll find out in the Derby... assuming all goes well and he gets out front.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:28 am

One horse I'm now intrigued by is Majesto - by Tiznow, and a 1/2 brother to Overanalyze. Was he a good 2nd, or was it a case of someone-had-to-finish-2nd?
He looked like a nice looking horse.
I don't know if I'd put Nyquist in the same league as Pharoah (yet?), but he's definitely got heart.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:28 am

Cree wrote:One horse I'm now intrigued by is Majesto - by Tiznow, and a 1/2 brother to Overanalyze. Was he a good 2nd, or was it a case of someone-had-to-finish-2nd?
He looked like a nice looking horse.
I don't know if I'd put Nyquist in the same league as Pharoah (yet?), but he's definitely got heart.

Hi Cree,
In my opinion, Majesto was a very good 2nd. I thought Majesto had a shot to hit the board, especially when Castellano took the mount. He looked to be a bit green, ducking from the stick (causing Castellano to change holds before he would hit him again in deep stretch) and at the wire his ears were forward, so he wasn't giving it his all in finishing 2nd. I have been trying to find a replay of the race where I might see a proper gallop out for Majesto, but I can't find one (if anyone has a head on please post). At the wire we see Nyquist well clear of the field and then not far past the wire, we see him galloping out at a good clip and all alone (or so I thought:-). Continue to watch and you will see that Majesto was actually well clear of Nyquist about an 1/8th or so past the wire. Where did that spurt come from?? Did Castellano continue to work on Majesto to try and get his mind on business, because he was running green and was not in an all out drive at the wire?? Below is the replay, stay with it to the end (at 2:35 into the video) you will see that Majesto galloped out strong and well in front of Nyquist, indicating the Derby distance might be what he needs?? TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSYfTy243-E
PS...on the not so encouraging side, Nyquist was only given a 94 beyer?
PPS...don't count Takeittotheedge out yet, I doubt he will be in the Derby...but we didn't see his A race in the Florida Derby. He stumbled badly and went to his nose coming out of the gate. Too much for such an inexperienced colt, but I'm sure Romans will get him into one of the TC races.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:13 am

This crop is so bizarre. The Beyer numbers have been low and I don't know what to make of them.

I rewatched the race, I thought Majesto ran a pretty good race considering he just broke his maiden. I think you are right and expect we'll see Takeittotheedge down the road.