The 142nd Running Of The GR I Kentucky Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Re: The 142nd Running Of The GR I Kentucky Derby

Postby geowarrior » Sat May 07, 2016 4:49 pm

Shagaf was listed as DNF. Does anyone know what happened to him?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat May 07, 2016 5:35 pm

Gun Runner wrecked my tri well it was Mohayman's fault for not getting him at the wire...
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat May 07, 2016 6:10 pm

geowarrior wrote:Shagaf was listed as DNF. Does anyone know what happened to him?

I read that he was tired and pulled up. If you can believe Facebook...

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 07, 2016 6:37 pm

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat May 07, 2016 10:10 pm

Nyquist had a dream trip, which makes all the difference in the world in such a full field. He looked like he got tired in those last few strides, but props to him for running his heart out and winning yet again.
I'd love to know the final quarter for the last 5 horses - and Suddenbreakingnews (who I've grown quite fond of) didn't switch his lead until late in the stretch. What is with these horses not switching leads??? Lewis Bay did it too!
Any report on Shagaf?

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sun May 08, 2016 3:19 am

A 9:00 pm FB status on his page said he's fine, just exhausted, and no injuries to be reported at this time. Couldn't find anything else yet this morning...

Mario G. said Nyquist knew another horse was coming behind him, so he kept going... makes one wonder, though, how much gas was left in the tank. He does have grit and gets the job done! I'm excited to watch him continue.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon May 09, 2016 9:00 am

Speaking of handicapping, did anyone else get caught up in TVG's meltdown? I had to use their automated phone system to place bets and many people didn't get to place them at all.

They need to get some new IT people pronto.

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Mon May 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Well I DID pick the top three....if not in the correct order. Moreso though, I am proud that the 4 horses that I designated as having "No Chance" never even hit the board.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue May 10, 2016 12:21 pm

I noticed that there was quite a bit of doubt re. Victor Espinoza's ability to ride anything that wasn't in front or on the wide outside. However he did manage to get Whitmore well placed in stalking position on the rail, but the horse didn't last. I thought Espinoza gave the horse every chance.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Cree wrote:Nyquist had a dream trip, which makes all the difference in the world in such a full field. He looked like he got tired in those last few strides, but props to him for running his heart out and winning yet again.
I'd love to know the final quarter for the last 5 horses - and Suddenbreakingnews (who I've grown quite fond of) didn't switch his lead until late in the stretch. What is with these horses not switching leads??? Lewis Bay did it too!
Any report on Shagaf?

Hi Cree,
I tried to figure the last 1/4 mile times of the top 5 Derby finishers for you. I should be close, maybe off by a 1/5th of a second, one way or the other:>)?? Nyquist, 25 3/5, Exaggerator 24, Gun Runner 26 3/5, Mohaymen 24 4/5 and your favorite, Suddenbreakingnews a very quick 22 2/5. Only three of the closers ran into real trouble, Creator, My Man Sam and Suddenbreakingnews....other stone cold closers had to go wide looking for room. Exaggerator had clear sailing the entire length of the CD stretch thanks to his savvy rider bulling his way through, unfortunately causing My Man Sam to check sharply....but the Derby allows for a bit of old fashioned rough riding:>) Lani was off slow, 8 wide and finished well.....I mention these because so far they look like they will return in the Preakness (except My Man Sam). Possible's but not yet confirmed are Brody's Cause, Destin and Outwork awaiting how they came out of the race?
Plenty new shooters lining up as they do every year. Among these are Collected, Stradivari, Awesome Speed, Cherry Wine, Laoban, Fellowship and Dazzling Gem. Only 14 are allowed to start in the Preakness (and up to two also eligibles will be allowed to enter). TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue May 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Did I read that correctly ? Suddenbreakingnews is going to the Preakness? Perhaps he'll switch leads and have some running room to stretch those long legs?!?
Mohaymen ran a good race as well.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed May 11, 2016 5:53 am

Cree wrote:Did I read that correctly ? Suddenbreakingnews is going to the Preakness? Perhaps he'll switch leads and have some running room to stretch those long legs?!?
Mohaymen ran a good race as well.

Hi Cree,
None of the possibles or probables are written in stone and it still is a day by day decision as they return to the track after the Derby. Suddenbreakingnews was under consideration and both he and Exaggerator returned to the CD track only 3 days after the Derby (Tuesday) and both of the trainers were pleased with their energy level. The same morning Twin Spires blog listed Suddenbreakingnews and Brody's Cause as probables? http://www.twinspires.com/blog/2016/5/9 ... -probables
Nyquist all ready shipped to Pimlico (Monday) and is scheduled to return to jogging this morning (Wednesday) over the Preakness oval. I'll give it another day or two, then post the possibles/probables in a separate thread. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 12, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi Cree,
Sorry to tell you Suddenbreakingnews will not run in the Preakness, his owners decided today to run in the Belmont Stakes. Also withdrawn today was Brody's Cause and Pat Day Mile winner, Sharp Azteca. TJ