The GR I Preakness

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Preakness

Postby TJ » Wed May 18, 2016 3:35 pm

Here's the official Gr I Preakness entries and post positions. No surprises, will post the updated past performances when they are available. TJ

13thRACE.(C13)Post6:45PM
The141stRunningof THEPREAKNESSSTAKES(GradeI)
$1,500,000Guaranteed PURSE$1,500,000Guaranteed 13/16Miles FOR THREE-YEAR-OLDS.
1 CHERRY WINE (L) Romans,D Lanerie,C 126
2 UNCLE LINO (L) Sherlock,G Perez,F 126
3 NYQUIST (L) O'Neill,D Gutierrez,M 126
4 AWESOME SPEED (L) Goldberg,A Toledo,J 126
5 EXAGGERATOR (L) Desormeaux,J Desormeaux,K 126
6 LANI Matsunaga,M Take,Y 126
7 COLLECTED (L) Baffert,B Castellano,J 126
8 LAOBAN (L) Guillot,E Geroux,F 126
9 ABIDING STAR (L) Allard,E Acosta,J 126
10 FELLOWSHIP (L) Casse,M Lezcano,J 126
11 STRADIVARI (L) Pletcher,T Velazquez
Last edited by TJ on Thu May 19, 2016 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR I Preakeness

Postby TJ » Thu May 19, 2016 3:18 am

Here's the pp's for Saturday's Preakness. TJ
http://www.brisnet.com/brisnet_promos/Preakness16.pdf

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Re: The GR I Preakness

Postby Aug27 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:35 pm

I can't get past the two favorites (3-5) ... unless Lani really is as talented as they thought, and he has his head on straight.
I'd really like to see Ned Allard's horse run well, though ... good trainer.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Fri May 20, 2016 7:45 am

Where's the love for Nyquist? So many people on FB are going with Exaggerator... the horse that Nyquist has beaten FOUR TIMES. Are people that hungry for Nyquist to be defeated? Or, did American Pharaoh spoil us so much last season, that it's hard to jump on board with a new horse this year? :?

Not saying Nyquist can't be beat, but not getting the lack of support for a horse who has a perfect record going into this, and just won the Derby.
Last edited by skeenan on Sat May 21, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Fri May 20, 2016 12:44 pm

Well, are the people on Facebook perhaps factoring in the weather forecast? Exaggerator looked like a monster on the slop at Santa Anita.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri May 20, 2016 3:59 pm

Lani is not that talented (sorry fans). He strikes me as just a bit slower than ...
I'm watching the weather, but I think there is so much speed in this race, it sets Exaggerator up well. Nyquist will run his usual good race, unless 2 weeks turn-around is too much for him (although I highly doubt that), I'm going

Exaggerator
Nyqui
Cherry Wine
Stradivari
Last edited by Cree on Sat May 21, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Fri May 20, 2016 4:43 pm

There certainly has been a lack of posts here, and Nyquist's Derby was the first Derby in many years that I did not bet. I think the Pharaooooo quest took a lot out of his fans, and I for one was very deflated after his successful Belmont when I should have been elated, but I cannot get past the connections on this horse and that alone has kept me pretty silent, and that could be a good thing because I have a way of inserting my foot in my mouth on a regular basis, but, I do believe that this horse has done everything right despite his connections and I also believe his unbeaten streak will continue, but again, I will watch the Preakness and keep my money in my pocket. Good luck to all and hoping for a safe trip for all.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri May 20, 2016 6:58 pm

Stradivari...bad outside post, but there's so much speed in here it might not hurt him...JV will see what develops with the inside speed and being outside he will get first run on tiring speed and the jump on late closers.
Nyquist...always finds a way to overcome but with the hot pace, he might soften just enough to give JV and Pletcher their first Preakness score?
Exaggerator...will get his track today and will be closing strongly.
Collected...working very well since winning the Lexington, Castellano stays with him.

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Can anybody recall when we last had a Classic where four entrants were from the same Sire?
(2-3-8-9)

Nyquist should sit the perfect trip behind the cheap speed and take over at his rider's whim. I think a Place bet on him is pretty safe, and might pay as well as his likely Win mutual.

Here's some historical data on the Preakness: over the past 37 runnings (since The Bid), Derby winners are 14 for 34 (41%), Derby non-winners are 17 for 160 (11%) and Derby non-runners are 6 for 187 (3%). {Not that history is an accurate predictor of the future, but the folks in the stock market like to think so.} :)

I think the only value to be found (if there is any) would be in a Double linking the Dixie to the Preakness, as I think it likely a non-favorite will win the Dixie this year.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri May 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Aug27 wrote:Can anybody recall when we last had a Classic where four entrants were from the same Sire?
(2-3-8-9)

Uncle Mo is one of the most amazing young sire to come around in a long time. He returned a long dead sire line to the TC races...Nasrullah, who in the last 76 years has had just 3 Derby winners. Forward Pass in 1968, Winning Colors in 1988 and now Nyquist 28 years later. I really can't remember a sires first crop, with so many top class runners in the TC races...has to be one for the record books? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat May 21, 2016 12:41 am

DDT, I agree. This year has certainly been one that I won't look back fondly at. It's hard to get past human connections sometimes.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 21, 2016 10:12 am

Cree wrote:DDT, I agree. This year has certainly been one that I won't look back fondly at. It's hard to get past human connections sometimes.

Hi Cree,
Don't know if it's all about Drug O'Neil, but something is definitely missing this season. Madelyn had to push a Derby post in the racing section to get a little play...just doesn't seem like anyone on PQ is that interested in the TC this year. We always had posters talking it up in the racing section? Certainly is strange...if there's no interest now, what will the rest of the season be like?
The track at Pimlico is currently muddy and the turf is good. More rain expected later? TJ

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat May 21, 2016 10:53 am

Well, I'll toss in my 2 cents - Lani will be closer and will look eye to eye with Nyquist at the 16th pole. I think he gets him, as there is tons of pace and everyone will be scrambling on the first turn with Nyquist trying to hold position from his inside post.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat May 21, 2016 11:50 am

Hmm...they just announced that someone bet $80,000 on Stradivari at the Laurel Racetrack hub making him the even money favorite in the early wagering for the Preakness? There goes my $2 bet looking for a price...might have to go back to the drawing board:>) But usually those big early bets level off by post time...have to wait and see? TJ

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Sat May 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Gee, TJ, I thought maybe that was your bet! :)