The GR I Preakness

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: The GR I Preakness

Postby TJ » Sun May 22, 2016 3:04 pm

skeenan wrote:Yes, Cree, great job!! :D

I was thinking the Travers, too. Maybe it is personal, as you've said. It is a sort of Secretariat/Sham rivalry (smack talk) so I hope the decision isn't for payback...

Edit: Apparently, we're not alone with that thought:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... nt-rematch

And agree with your comments, TJ, about Mario. I feel bad, as I'm sure he'll take some heat for that ride yesterday. A lot of things just didn't go their way.

I was impressed with Stradivari, he took a big jump up in class and I thought he held his own, being right there for 4th.

Hi Skeenan,
There was no real smack talk between the owner/trainer of Secretariat and Sham...that was a bit of Hollywood license in the movie, "Secretariat". I knew for sure Keith Desormeaux would run in the Travers, he likes winning races up there, I figured after the beat in the Preakness O'Neil would take that route...but seems I was wrong about that idea. If he runs back in the Belmont, it will be very interesting, but I doubt those two will be at the wire 1-2 at the finish. I have to give Exaggerator the edge to easily beat Nyquist again at the Belmont distance. But these boys are gonna get a taste of NY and the NY jockey's won't let an outsider take home the money without a fight:>) Stradivari could be a contender in the Belmont if he came out of the Preakness in good order? I'd expect to see Destin in the Belmont as well...he ran pretty good considering the layoff going into the Derby and he is a distance horse. It's one of the TC races Pletcher does well in with 2 wins in the last 9 runnings. TJ

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun May 22, 2016 4:26 pm

O'Neal seems set to send Nyquist again, and I think it's a bad idea. I'm concerned that he has a Ruffian type will to win, and will be even more on the bridle in the Belmont. I don't see any other speed holding up, so the closers, as TJ noted much closer, will be coming. But as always - not all of them - just one or two that are ready. I think Lani should get show, Suddenbreakingnews will run the farthest fastest. The Preakness winner may be a little spent after so much asked of him - but he seems to be a freak in the way he bounces back. Great crop of 3yos I think.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon May 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Well I'm happy for Cherry Wine because I was a big fan of Paddy O'Prado, but he did cause me to miss the exacta and the 10 cent super by a nose. I broke even though because I did have money across the board on Exaggerator.

Nyquist is a brave horse, he tried to rebreak when he saw Exaggerator go by. It reminded me of American Pharoah's loss in the Travers.