Jockey Club Naming Consistency

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Jockey Club Naming Consistency

Postby Patuxet » Mon May 09, 2016 10:54 am

Out of curiosity I wonder if different people in the JC office have different interpretations of the rules for assigning names.

Currently there is a 3YO named "Stradivari". According to Wikipedia: "A Stradivarius is one of the string instruments built by members of the Italian family Stradivari (Stradivarius), particularly Antonio Stradivari. According to their reputation, the quality of their sound has defied attempts to explain or equal it. The name "Stradivarius" has become a superlative often associated with excellence; to be called "the Stradivari" of any field is to be deemed the finest there is."

It would seem that Stradivarius and Stradivari can be used interchangeably.

A few years ago I attempted to name a colt, out of my mare "Fiddle, "Stradivarius". The Jockey club turned down "Stradivarius" citing a rule against commercial names. I fail to see why the same objection wouldn't have been applicable to "Stradivari". Frankly I think it was a stretch in the first place to disapprove of "Stradivarius" on commercial grounds.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

springboro
Grade II Winner

Re: Jockey Club Naming Consistency

Postby springboro » Tue May 10, 2016 11:40 am

I suspect they only care about similar pronunciations, and not the actual meaning.

vaponydoc
2yo Maiden

Postby vaponydoc » Tue May 10, 2016 6:41 pm

I think a lot of names slip by that really do not follow the rules... Your's got caught

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri May 13, 2016 5:48 pm

You probably got nailed because "Stradivarius" is the name of an international clothing line as well as the name of the 17th-18th century famous violin makers.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Wed May 18, 2016 10:37 am

Thank you, Avalyn, for an explanation that in context finally makes sense. The breadth of your knowledge is amazing and helpful.

After the JC vetoed "Stradivarius" I continued to search for a suitable violin-based name and, to the JC's satisfaction, finally settled on "Il Cannone", a famous Guarneri owned and named by the noted virtuoso Paganini. Because of the instrument's power and resonance, Paganini claimed it "boomed like a cannon" when he played it.

I later learned from some Italian friends that "Il Cannone" also has an exceedingly graphic and rude street slang meaning. So, as far as the JC goes, in a sense I had, if not the last laugh, at least a good giggle.

Allison
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri May 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Patuxet wrote:Thank you, Avalyn, for an explanation that in context finally makes sense. The breadth of your knowledge is amazing and helpful.

After the JC vetoed "Stradivarius" I continued to search for a suitable violin-based name and, to the JC's satisfaction, finally settled on "Il Cannone", a famous Guarneri owned and named by the noted virtuoso Paganini. Because of the instrument's power and resonance, Paganini claimed it "boomed like a cannon" when he played it.

I later learned from some Italian friends that "Il Cannone" also has an exceedingly graphic and rude street slang meaning. So, as far as the JC goes, in a sense I had, if not the last laugh, at least a good giggle.

Allison

:lol:
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

wallinga
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby wallinga » Sun May 22, 2016 11:08 pm

Knowing Coolmore/ Tabor's naming conventions. The horse is probably named after Antonio Stradivari the person, rather than the company/instrument.

George Washington, Jann Vermeer, Horatio Nelson etc would lend credence to this no?

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:25 am

Stradivarius is a trademark name for Bach brass instruments (I am a trumpet player, and have owned several.)
Given that the Bach Corporation was founded in New York and made horns for decades there (1920s thru early 1960s), before moving production to Elkhart IN, and with the corporate HQ for the jockey club in NYC, the executives for both outfits have certainly crossed paths over the years. I suspect it is that familiarity that led to your rejection.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Tue May 24, 2016 8:27 pm

Thank you, Aug, for that explanatory information. It makes sense in terms of what the JC cited in their rejection.

Do you play the call to the post?

And now you've put me in mind of Prof. Harold Hill and I'll be damned if I can get "Trouble" out of my mind!

Allison

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:08 am

You are welcome.
I do not play at the track ... I am in a wind symphony, a concert band, a brass band, and two jazz/swing/big bands. Keeps me busy!

Ref Music Man -- they don't write 'em like that anymore, do they?
I wonder if Mario Gutiérrez was thinking "there's trouble in river city" about mid-stretch of the Preakness!?

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri May 27, 2016 7:40 am

Aug27 wrote:You are welcome.
I do not play at the track ... I am in a wind symphony, a concert band, a brass band, and two jazz/swing/big bands. Keeps me busy!

Ref Music Man -- they don't write 'em like that anymore, do they?
I wonder if Mario Gutiérrez was thinking "there's trouble in river city" about mid-stretch of the Preakness!?

I think he was thinking that when he tossed a glance over his right shoulder about 200 yards into it and saw Awesome Speed there. So much for being able to secure an outside position stalking the speed where his mount could and would relax a little.