Are Tapit mares a good investment

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

bluejayjack
Suckling

Are Tapit mares a good investment

Postby bluejayjack » Wed May 25, 2016 10:14 am

Thinking of purchasing private sale a Tapit/out of Deputy Commander mare - name (Victorious Love).
Thoughts?
Thanks

20dourmdd
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Are Tapit mares a good investment

Postby 20dourmdd » Wed May 25, 2016 12:37 pm

I would think they are a premium at this time given the success of his offspring, but the mare's mother is going to play a major role also. Is Tapit going to be good broodmare sire? Jury is still out! I was at Fasig-Tipton when his first babies were being sold, and I wasn't really impressed, but look what has happened...every Tapit seems to be a runner! If I had the money to buy one, it would be in my trailer heading home! JMHO!

bluejayjack
Suckling

Postby bluejayjack » Wed May 25, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks - the dam of the mare was sent to Ven. in foal and her offspring have won graded stakes races there - but that is almost like winning a stakes race at Fonner Park - it doesn't carry a great deal of weight - even though one is a G1 winner there.

But thank you for the advice - I'm going to do a tad bit more research before I sign my life away on her regarding stats on him as a broodmare sire. But I think my plans for the Holiday weekend will involve a horse trailer.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon May 30, 2016 9:50 am

The Tapit mares who didn't make it on the track are coming available, and they haven't done much, but its very very early.

BROODMARE SIRE of Hypothetical-: Tapit
TOTALS FOR
mares 106
foals* 191
starters (%) 78
winners (%) 36
BW (%) 2
earnings ($) 2.5mil
aei 1.07

One top aspect of this is that the Tapit was always bred to top horses, so any Tapit will have big names close up and that will only get better moving forward. He may not be a great bm sire, but the great mares bred to him should carry the day. A good time to take a dip I think.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

francesca
Allowance Winner

Postby francesca » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Tapit has not always been bred to great mares. He started out as an OK stallion and his stud fee was medium range. He has been around for a few years. So the older Tapit mares may not be a good investment. Look at the dam lines before you take any money out of your pocket.