Racing statistics and fate of 49 racehorses born in 2006

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Racing statistics and fate of 49 racehorses born in 2006

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:42 am

Hello all,

I've been keeping stats on horses I would have bought at auction every year, mainly Kee Sep, and one Ocala March 2YO sale and One Ocala or FT April 2YO sale.
Somehow I always end up with around 50-60, and see how they do.
Some on this board have put me down for doing this, telling me to "stick to my games", etc., but I think it's actually more under the category of (fun) research. And it's helped me pick my actually-owned horses. I do my own research in other areas as well--PM me if interested.

In any case, my last 10 year old has finally been declared done, and here's how I did.

closed July 18, 2016 2006 foals
49 horses, 5 never raced, of those 3 never had official works so 89% made it to the races

avg price $93,561
avg. work debut 8/19/2008
avg. race debut 11/14/2008
avg. starts 21.6
avg. earnings per horse $68,074.43
avg. earnings per start $3,152.92
avg. return on price per horse 197.67%
quality Index 3.16 out of 12 (maiden winners) G1 winner = 12, claiming placed 1 plus value of race e.g. 25K claimer placing/win is 1.25 or 2.25)
ITM% 43.58%
WIN% 13.05%
Total return on purchase price 65.33%
Graded stakes placed or won 2 (Jardin and La Rocca)
4 known injuries out of 49 = 8.16%

FATES: (I looked into what happened to these horses; results are sobering):

adopted 2
Broodmares 17
died 1
fatal breakdown 2
rescued 2
second career 3
stallion 2
Uknown 20

I hope at least some of you will find this useful and entertaining. Feel free to comment. 8)
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Re: Racing statistics and fate of 49 racehorses born in 200

Postby pfrsue » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:59 pm

For fun, I play around with a virtual stable of my own, but nowhere as comprehensively as you do. When I started, my picks were based on conformation photos from the auction catalogs, with breeding a secondary factor.
This year, I've chosen eleven two years olds after watching work/auction videos. (Out of those, I think one went to Mexico and one was bought by a South Korean bloodstock agency, so I probably won't be able to follow them.) The lowest price was 6k I think. The highest was 525k

The best horse I've chosen is a Lawyer Ron gelding. He's seven now and still running. Stakes placed, 48 starts and $359,264 in earnings.

Toccet, how have you tracked down their post-racing situations?

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:30 am

pfrsue wrote:For fun, I play around with a virtual stable of my own, but nowhere as comprehensively as you do. When I started, my picks were based on conformation photos from the auction catalogs, with breeding a secondary factor.
This year, I've chosen eleven two years olds after watching work/auction videos. (Out of those, I think one went to Mexico and one was bought by a South Korean bloodstock agency, so I probably won't be able to follow them.) The lowest price was 6k I think. The highest was 525k

The best horse I've chosen is a Lawyer Ron gelding. He's seven now and still running. Stakes placed, 48 starts and $359,264 in earnings.

Toccet, how have you tracked down their post-racing situations?

Hey, is that Adirondack King? I have him too!

I pick primarily based on pedigree, but try to watch them in auctions and/or breeze videos. In auction ring, I've seen one psycopath and one with stringhalt. Toss!

I also have an injury database and an inbreeding database I check them against. Here's a free tip, since you play this too: Inbreeding to Buckpasser = lots of starts!

As for outcome, I check the Jockey Club registration, which at least lists deaths, sold "not to race" and mares bred, if of course people bother to file. Then there's this pedigree querey, which sometimes has foal or whereabouts info, plus I ask people here on occasion, google searches, and FB searches. There are a lot of OTTB groups. I muddle around with it in the background when I'm working a lot, or at night when I have kid-free time.I hate watching TV, so . . . this is what I do! It's fun tracking them down. but 20 unknown . . . that just sucks. It would be nice if the JC demanded more owner responsibility.

----Arrested Development

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Toccet02 wrote:Hey, is that Adirondack King? I have him too!

Nope, mine is Jeter. I picked him out as a yearling actually. (My exact notes are, "Strongly built gray yearling by Lawyer Ron.") As a yearling, he RNA'd at Keeneland Sept. for $27,000. The next year he RNA'd for $160,000 at Ocala. I guess someone else thought he was built pretty well, too.

This year, I think I picked out too many Union Rags' offspring, but I'm very interested in how they do. They certainly fill the eye. We'll see if they can burn up a track.

And you're right. 20 untraceable horses is not cool.

I've wondered about one of "mine": Eddie Better had 42 starts, but only won $31,229. I've seen nothing from him since he finished last in a waiver claiming race in May 2015. I hope he landed safely somewhere, but it's hard to be optimistic.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:47 pm

pfrsue wrote:
Toccet02 wrote:Hey, is that Adirondack King? I have him too!

Nope, mine is Jeter. I picked him out as a yearling actually. (My exact notes are, "Strongly built gray yearling by Lawyer Ron.") As a yearling, he RNA'd at Keeneland Sept. for $27,000. The next year he RNA'd for $160,000 at Ocala. I guess someone else thought he was built pretty well, too.

This year, I think I picked out too many Union Rags' offspring, but I'm very interested in how they do. They certainly fill the eye. We'll see if they can burn up a track.

And you're right. 20 untraceable horses is not cool.

I've wondered about one of "mine": Eddie Better had 42 starts, but only won $31,229. I've seen nothing from him since he finished last in a waiver claiming race in May 2015. I hope he landed safely somewhere, but it's hard to be optimistic.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... 22%20horse

----Arrested Development

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:29 pm

THANKS!!!!