Is Power Jam OK?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Is Power Jam OK?

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:55 am

Power Jam looked very good winning his very first race at Santa Anita for 6F in 1:08 and change on 2/14/15. I have been looking forward to seeing him race again, but it has been a month (tomorrow) and not even a workout. Is Power Jam injured or something? Anyone know?
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Is Power Jam OK?

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Power Jam had a workout today and that is good news for me. He only had one race in February and looked good winning it (1:08 and change for 6F). Here's hoping that he returns to the racetrack soon and looks as good as he did in his maiden race.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:47 pm

Power Jam is finally being entered in a race on Sunday. It will be a 6.5F allowance/optional claiming race at Del Mar with a purse of $53,000. (race 7). There is no claiming price on Power Jam.

Power Jam has had 10 workouts since being back in training again since recovering from some kind of injury. There really hasn't been very many races written for him in Southern California lately, if any, and maybe that is why it has taken him so long to be entered in a race again.

Hope that Power Jam is as good as he looked in his first race
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:01 pm

Power Jam just missed today finishing 2nd by a nose to Oligarch, a 7 year old gelding, and the lone speed. The time was 1:16:09 for the 6.5 furlongs. I think that Power Jam would have passed Oligarch if the race was just a little bit longer. Not really a bad race for Power Jam, but a little disappointing that he didn't win. Still, he evidently still has some good speed. Hope to see him in a stakes race in the near future.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:14 am

One thing that I am not sure that I like about Power Jam's pedigree is that he is inbred to A P Indy 4S X 3D, 5S X 3D to Mr. Prospector, and 5S x 5S x 4D to Seattle Slew. I guess that those are great sires to be inbred to, but I think that I prefer one inbreeding to a horse like Northern Dancer, Mr. Prospector, Seattle Slew, A P Indy, or even Secretariat, but no closer than 4 x 4.

Maybe I am wrong in that thinking, but I think that a lot of close inbreeding can lead to unsoundness. Of course, I am sure that one can find great racehorses and/or great stallions that do have a lot of up close inbreeding. Anyway, I hope that I am wrong about Power Jam.

Here's hoping that Power Jam stays healthy and gets to race in a lot of races. If he does, than the rest should take care of itself.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:27 pm

Power Jam not only won an allowance race today at Santa Anita after an 8 month layoff, but he broke the track record with a time of 1:01:71 for 5.5 furlongs.

Now, I just hope that Power Jam can stay healthy. If if does, then I expect great things from him.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:14 pm

I would say that Power Jam is more than OK. Today he won the Pirate's Bounty Stakes at Del Mar. It was in 1:02:10 for 5.5F, which is a new track record. Power Jam now has the track record for 5.5F at the 2 big California tracks. Seems nearly unbeatable at that distance.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:43 pm

He beat Ack Ack's record. Makes me wonder how much track maintenance has changed... Power Jam is not in Ack Ack's league :-)

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:45 pm

Cree wrote:He beat Ack Ack's record. Makes me wonder how much track maintenance has changed... Power Jam is not in Ack Ack's league :-)

Maybe not, but breaking a track record at the two biggest tracks in California is nothing to be ashamed of. I think that Power Jam is a pretty fast horse.
Shawklit Won.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:11 pm

Fast and not very sound.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:59 pm

Power Jam has had some health issues. He was on the shelf for about 9 months after his first race and over 7 months after his second. Power Jam has since come back winning two of his last three. I hope that he stays healthy for a long time now. I would really like to see what he can do.

Anyone here know what his injuries were?
Shawklit Won.