Sept. Yrlg Sale @Keeneland

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Sept. Yrlg Sale @Keeneland

Postby Joltman » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:57 pm

Yes, the breeding syndicates I've seen get broodmares that they get in foal to their stallion then sell the shares of the progeny, which is a win-win for them, but an opportunity for an outsider if you like the match. I've checked a couple out, but just can't justify it.

There will always be some small breeders with a dream, but it ebbs and flows at best. The purses have got to be substantial enough to keep the smaller gals/guys in the game until something good happens, but that isn't usually the case. I think the state-bred incentives are the deciding factor between profitability and bare pockets, and those are weakening. From an outsider's perspective, it seems that NM is really doing something for the breed-race crowd. Colonial Downs in Va closed because the horsemen wanted a regular meet and the track wanted a boutique meet - only for the 'big guys' and cutting out the chance for a profit for smaller operations with lesser horses.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:30 pm

A colt I bred just sold for $230,000!! Unfortunately I sold him last year :roll:

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:39 am

Don't you sort of hate when that happens? On the other hand, do you still have the dam?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:41 am

I was cheering for him to go to $150, after that I was like, c'mon I don't need the universe to give me a total atomic wedgie! I was forced to sell him last year when he was immature because I had 2 foals that were critically ill and ran up large vet bills. Both survived so that's pretty rewarding (I don't allow myself to consider how rewarding $230,000 would feel :lol: ). I still have his mom and she is also my favorite gal. She is probably a lifer here.