2016 BC Races this Saturday (11/5)

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: 2016 BC Races this Saturday (11/5)

Postby TJ » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:05 am

Shergar wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else think V. Espinoza should have set Cal. Chrome down a bit earlier for the stretch drive. I thought he sat chilly just a bit too long.

Don't know if it would have really made much of a difference.

Regards,
Shergar

Hi Shergar,
I thought Victor rode him OK at best(?)....he took advantage of his speed and ground saving inside post coming out of the gate very quickly and sent Chrome on his way, that was the OK part of the ride. At the same time Arrogate broke a bit slow from his outside post, while rating along as Smith gradually overcame their so-so start. What I didn't like was Victor constantly looking around for Arrogate instead of just riding his horse...Chrome didn't need all that looking back, around and sideways in the saddle Victor was doing....sure doesn't help the efficiency of his stride. At the top of the lane CC's head was a bit in the air instead of down and in full stride because Victor had yet to uncock his stick. He waited for Arrogate to be breathing on his butt before he used the stick. That being said...Arrogate overcame it all while finding his best stride nearing the wire with a powerful surge to get by Chrome a 1/2 length.
There's no doubt Arrogate will be named Champion 3YO Male...California Chrome will be named Champion Older Male Horse, BUT I think they still could name CC Horse of The Year, even though the young upstart beat him in the Classic, there's a lot of love out there for Chrome....this Eclipse award will be behind the scenes racing politics at its best:>) Below is the replay...TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:54 am

TJ, you had the super in the Turf! I think you did the best yesterday.
I am still a bit stunned Chrome got beat. What a race. He was just flying out there with Melatonin chasing him (tough race off a lay-off), and Arrogate biding his time. Those last 3-4 strides of Arrogate were amazing, that horse is just incredible. I agree Victor was too busy worrying about who was coming rather than just pushing Chrome to the wire.

I still think Chrome is the HOY, his body of work over the whole season is worthy of that vote. This year's BC really brought it's "A" game.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:39 am

Cree wrote:TJ, you had the super in the Turf! I think you did the best yesterday.
I am still a bit stunned Chrome got beat. What a race. He was just flying out there with Melatonin chasing him (tough race off a lay-off), and Arrogate biding his time. Those last 3-4 strides of Arrogate were amazing, that horse is just incredible. I agree Victor was too busy worrying about who was coming rather than just pushing Chrome to the wire.

I still think Chrome is the HOY, his body of work over the whole season is worthy of that vote. This year's BC really brought it's "A" game.

Hi Cree,
I did ok yesterday...as I try to keep it loose and put the prices on top in my posted selections. I had a couple other tri's yesterday because I throw in the figure horses underneath when I spread on my tri tickets. The Euro's had a good showing at the BC and I basically used them over the American horses all day....but did add Lady Eli under, who ran 2nd to Sir Michael's horse, that was a huge tri. That was a tough loss for Lady Eli and Flintshire as well...Chad Brown usually wins those photos:>)
I felt bad for Sherman after the race...you could see he was holding back the tears. He did a great job with Chrome getting him back to himself after the Euro disaster. In the back of my mind I think if we switched riders, the result might have been different. I agree with you and think HOY will turn out the way it did for HOY Zenyatta, after she got beat in the Classic to Blame. There's no doubt Arrogate is a great horse and if he had been sound, he would have been a TC winner. But that's the Unbridled's Song's cross to bear....they are brilliant when they are "right" but it's hard getting them right?
Certainly one of the best overall BC events we've ever seen. Now to see Beholder and Chrome leave the stage...without a chance for Chrome or Songbird to redeem themselves leaves a hole in the story line...but it is that hole that will keep them in our thoughts each time the Breeder's Cup rolls around:>) TJ
PS...I wonder if they might change their minds and race Beholder again?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:20 am

Sounds like she's retiring and going to Uncle Mo.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:25 am

Cree wrote:Sounds like she's retiring and going to Uncle Mo.

Hi Cree,
That's an interesting mating. Not a single chef-de-race in the cross...not that it really matters, but it's unusual none appear until after the cutoff in the 5th generation. Of note in the cross is the Rasmussen Factor (RF) present in the 5th generation to Suspicious Native through 1/2 siblings Leo Castelli and Meadowlake....the RF has always intrigued me. TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:30 am

Steve Haskin wrote a nice article on Chrome/Arrogate and Beholder/Songbird:
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2016/11/06/a-mystery-horse-no-more.aspx

His take on the match-up:
"To show how fast Arrogate and Chrome ran, if Beholder, fully extended at the finish of the Breeders' Cup Distaff, had run another eighth in :12 flat, which is highly unlikely, considering she came home her final eighth in :13, she still would have finished six lengths behind Arrogate."

So, it begs the question... did Chrome have an off-day/bad ride, or was Arrogate just that good?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:10 pm

skeenan wrote:Steve Haskin wrote a nice article on Chrome/Arrogate and Beholder/Songbird:
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2016/11/06/a-mystery-horse-no-more.aspx

His take on the match-up:
"To show how fast Arrogate and Chrome ran, if Beholder, fully extended at the finish of the Breeders' Cup Distaff, had run another eighth in :12 flat, which is highly unlikely, considering she came home her final eighth in :13, she still would have finished six lengths behind Arrogate."

So, it begs the question... did Chrome have an off-day/bad ride, or was Arrogate just that good?

Hi Skee,
In my opinion, Chrome didn't have an off day, he ran his eyeballs out....Espinoza popped his eyeballs out looking all over the place for Arrogate. What did he think...he wasn't coming? What Victor did, didn't really affect a change in the outcome...since both hooked up and hit full stride with enough time for the best horse to win the race. That powerful surge Arrogate put on at the wire was unreal (as was his performance in the Travers)...Chrome ran his heart out and got beat. It was a great horse race...if the final margin was a nose (like Songbird and Beholder) there might have been some wiggle room to say both deserved to win...but Chrome was beaten fair and square. I've spent a lifetime in this business and have seen many of the greats....Arrogate, if he stays sound will prove to be one of them. No doubt Chrome is a great champion and for the 3YO Arrogate to take the measure of him at the wire speaks volumes for this horses ability.
As it turned out from a basic speed figure perspective, Chrome received his highest lifetime Beyer Speed Figure while losing to Arrogate in the Classic...a 119, which was 6 points higher than his previous high beyer of 113. Arrogate received a 120 beyer in winning the Classic and previously earned a higher beyer of 122 when he won the Travers.
In the Distaff comparison, Beholder and Songbird being a nose apart in the Distaff both earned a 105 beyer. That was Songbird's lifetime best, but Beholder had previously this year earned a 110 and 106 beyer.
I think we all got our money's worth out of this years BC Event....just about as good as it gets! It will be interesting to see how the Eclipse voting goes and if it will be decided on emotion or the raw talent we saw on display by so many great horses in this years BC races. TJ