Displacing

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Displacing

Postby ct2346 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:18 am

My 2yo colt ran 2nd over the weekend at CD and when all was said and done it turns out he displaced in the final 1/8...jock said he roared which the trainer confirmed as happening during several workouts over the summer/fall. I've had fillies that displaced before never a colt. Vet has recommended a myectomy, which I've done before but my question is -

Does anyone have experience with 2yos ever outgrowing this? I'd be fine giving him the winter off if there's a chance that he'd just outgrow it. Way back in my mind is the recollection that this procedure makes eating more problematic...so if I could avoid it - I'd like to. Trainer is on the side of just do it and get it done with, but that is not surprising.

Any thoughts appreciated.

madelyn

Re: Displacing

Postby madelyn » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:06 am

Hm. First I always try to tack around it. I've had really good luck with the tongue control spoon bit from Big Dee's combined with a flash noseband. For my little red horse I made a big shadow roll that fit on the flash. Was his tongue tied?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Re: Displacing

Postby ct2346 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks. Yes - he's been tongue tied in all works, and in his race. We'd considered switching bits, but I acquiesced earlier in the week and we went ahead and did the procedure. Vet, after getting in there and seeing the thickness, said we did the right thing. We will see...after he resumes working. I like the flash idea anyway- especially if we stay in KY and run at TP next month.