New sires 2017 and first foals 2017

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Cree
Eclipse Champion

New sires 2017 and first foals 2017

Postby Cree » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:03 am

It's quiet on here! Which stallions are you looking forward to?
I'd say it's not as exciting as last year's new sire group, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Flintshire does and Can-bred Ami's Holiday.
I'm looking forward to Honor Code's first foals.

madelyn

Re: New sires 2017 and first foals 2017

Postby madelyn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:53 am

I want to go and see Eye of the Leopard at Calumet - would like to see Calumet! They've gone from zero horses to 18 stallions in a pretty short time.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:40 am

Frosted is the love of my life:). Love his physical!

Like Nyquist, Runhappy, and Outwork a lot. Cinco Charlie also has a very nice physical for a pretty weak race record.

Flintshire, Air Force Blue, and Mshawish are just okay.

Deeply disappointed by Brody's Cause and Exaggerator.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:26 pm

It's interesting that you liked the physicals of Nyquist, Runhappy, and Outwork. If you look at their race records, the 3 of them together have just over the amount of starts of Flintshire or Mshawish. I question their soundness.
Nyquist with 11 starts, was noted as having gone through shock wave therapy, even at 2. He petered out in his last 3 races. Runhappy with 10 starts, obviously had issues, and really petered out the last 2 races, but I guess we could blame the humans connected to him. Outwork with 5 starts, didn't race past May of this year - I have a hard time with these types, and Pletcher has a few of them each year.
Cinco Charlie ran 18 times, so he's an outlier I guess, and I think he was a good enough graded sprinter.
Would it be fair to say you've got 2 sprinters on this list and 2 horses that were probably best at 1 1/16 - 1 1/8 miles. Is there similarities in their body types? Also, three of them are Indian Charlie sons/grand sons.

Then you have 3 grass horses - and yes, I consider Mshawish a grass horse, because he was initially, then Pletcher turned him into a Gulfstream dirt horse. Flintshire with 24 starts, ran 1 bad race. And Mshawish with 24 starts.
Air Force Blue with 9 starts, like many War Front's was a good 2-year-old, but didn't race on.

So, is there something about the turf-type horse that you don't like? Just thought it was interesting the similarities there.

As for Brody's Cause and Exaggerator - both have always struck me as lightly boned, smallish horses.