Tevez.

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Tevez.

Postby wilf » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:02 pm

They started to break his yearling half brother this month but he got a virus and was set back quite a bit. I'm glad it was sooner rather than later as he is also surrounded by older horses and he needs to get his baby immunity built up before any stressful work. It hit him hard. Tevez runs in the 10th tomorrow at Woodbine ,second choice in a field of 14. I doubt that he will get the charmed run he secured last time. Same gate ,number 12 ,different rider.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Congratulations Tevez! Tough old warrior. Equibase shows his best speed index; 102 in 2016 as a 10 year old, he's getting faster too!

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... y=T&rbt=TB

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Hey Jeff, I wouldn't put too much faith in those numbers. He ran 1.09 a couple of times a few years ago and might do it with some rain on the Woodbine Tapeta but even though he had a good year in 2016 he still did not cover costs so I'm not sure about running him anymore. Also his little brother contracted Haemorragic Purpura so his future isn't too bright. Oh well ,it's been a good run.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:11 am

Wilf, sorry to hear the yearling has medical issue, hope he pulls through ok.

Love the linebreeding Tevez' dam Island Tunes, 3x3 Amber Dancer, Rasmussen Factor going on there, the With Distinction cross looks really promising.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:08 am

So Tevez is back home in Florida now? Sorry to hear about your youngster - but what on earth is that and how on earth did he get it??
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Wilf, I've dealt with two purpura cases over the years, a school horse and a young racing Standardbred. Both pulled through okay with a lot of dedicated nursing. As I recall, the Standardbred did go back to the track and had some success. It's a nasty and painful condition to treat though. Wishing all the best for him.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Very sorry to hear about the yearling's issue. Hope things work out for the best for both him and Tevez in 2017.
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:14 pm

Isn't purpura something related to weak blood vessels, that break near the skin, producing blood blotches, or something similar?

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Georgerz wrote:Isn't purpura something related to weak blood vessels, that break near the skin, producing blood blotches, or something similar?

It's an autoimmune issue, usually related to strangles although thankfully it isn't contagious. You're right that it causes inflammation and breakdown of the blood vessels, especially in the legs and sometimes the head and belly. The swelling from the edema that comes with it can be so bad that the skin literally starts to slough off.

It's nasty. Just plain nasty. I'm definitely hoping that Wilf's yearling comes out of it okay.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks for your explanation. I also hope a good recovery for Wilf's horse.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks guys for your input ,the little guy is getting amazing care at the farm he is at. It is run by my partner in him and she has been far more patient than perhaps I would have because he looked to be on death's door. Fortunately he is in florida and so did not have the additional stress of fighting winter weather and he could wander slowly around the farm nibbling grass and visiting the other youngsters over the fence . He is a quiet kind horse just like his big brother and HP is not contagious even though it's a terrible affliction. It looks like he is on the mend now so we will see how it goes .Tevez is just hanging out boarding on a friend's farm ,not a care in the world.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:14 pm

So how is the little guy doing?

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:20 pm

He foundered and was euthanized a few days ago. Even the best care cannot overcome this awful affliction and I am glad his pain and suffering are over.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:28 pm

So very sorry about the youngster.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:35 am

Oh Wilf I am So Very Sorry to hear that! Poor Little Fella.