The GR II Las Virgenes Stake and Songbird II ???

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR II Las Virgenes Stake and Songbird II ???

Postby TJ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:42 am

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this race and Unique Bella, a 3YO filly ridden by Mike Smith and trained by Jerry Holledorfer....the same connections as last years 3YO filly champion, Songbird. Bella's reputation is growing rapidly and Mike Smith holds her in very high asteem. She has been nominated to the the Kentucky Derby and will eventually meet the boys if she decides to go for the Roses. She's certainly one to follow whether she goes the Derby route or the Oaks. Last years 2YO filly Champion, Champagne Room is also in the race and will test Bella's reputation to the limit. Here's the entries for Sundays Las Virgenes Stake, pp's not yet available. TJ

6th Race.SA, Las Virgenes Stakes (Grade II)
Purse $200,000 Guaranteed One Mile
FOR FILLIES, THREE YEARS OLD.
1 MOPOTISM (L) '14 F 118 Prat, F Reddam Racing, LLC Doug O'Neill
2 CHAMPAGNE ROOM (L) '14 F 123 Gutierrez, M S. Alesia, Ciaglia Racing LLC or Exline-Border Racing LLC, Et Al Peter Eurton
3 MISTRESSOFTHENIGHT (L) '14 F 118 Nakatani, C Beerman Family Trust, Sayjay Racing LLC or Hall Richard Baltas
4 UNIQUE BELLA (L) '14 F 120 Smith, M Don Alberto Stable Jerry Hollendorfer
5 MISS SOUTHERN MISS (L) '14 F 118 Desormeaux, K Peter L. Cantrell J. Keith Desormeaux

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: The GR II Las Virgenes Stake and Songbird II ???

Postby Cree » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:28 pm

She is very exciting!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Cree wrote:She is very exciting!

Hi Cree,
I agree and then some:>) WOW, we are getting our fair share of eye popping race horses coming out of California. This young filly looks like she's a 5YO....absolutely flawless mover! Champagne Room tried to carry Unique Bella out going into the first turn but Mike Smith wasn't worried going 5 wide into the first turn. He sat chilly and moved by CR as he pleased winning off by themselves going the mile in 1:35.66. The riders attempt to carry Bella out failed and found Champagne Room wanting, while Mopotism was easily up for 2nd, Champagne Room a tiring 3rd and Miss Southern Miss 4th and last. After the race Hollendorfer seemed to discourage any thoughts of running her in the Derby....but she is something to "Behold"...err...and watching race her will be a pleasure. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Very good race. Is it too early to be looking forward to her against Songbird???

and I should add - Unbridled's Song certainly has left his mark!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Cree wrote:Very good race. Is it too early to be looking forward to her against Songbird???

and I should add - Unbridled's Song certainly has left his mark!

Hi Cree,
Well, they are two different owners and when push comes to shove in the BC Distaff, Hollendorfer will probably be forced to have his two stars meet up. But till then, I think they will be kept in their own division...Songbird 4YO and up and Unique Bella beating up on the 3YO's all year long like Songbird did:>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:26 am

I haven't seen a filly in this crop that can touch Unique Bella. You are right in saying she looks like a mare, she moves with a purpose and being swung out wide did not phase her.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:44 am

Cree wrote:I haven't seen a filly in this crop that can touch Unique Bella. You are right in saying she looks like a mare, she moves with a purpose and being swung out wide did not phase her.

Hi Cree,
It's basically all about her staying sound considering her size and sheer speed? I'm glad she's in Jerry Hollendorfer's hands, he'll watch out for her. Here's the replay. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA