The Gr III Santa Ysabel

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The Gr III Santa Ysabel

Postby TJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:34 am

Just keeping an eye on Unique Bella as she tries to emulate her stablemate Songbird. Speaking of Songbird, does anyone know what she's up to? She was sent to WinStar for a break after the BC Distaffbefore and was expected to be back with Hollendorfer on the first of the year. But have seen no works to date...imagine she could still be galloping, but haven't heard anything about her for months?
Anyway...back to Bella. She is on the same path as Songbird with the Gr II Las Virgenes in the books, to today's Gr III San Ysabel, than to the GR I Santa Anita Oaks. Just like Songbird (before Arrogate came on the scene), she seems to be the best of her generation...male or female. Check out the entries and PP's below. TJ

6th Race. The Santa Ysabel Stakes (Grade III)
Purse $100,000 Guaranteed One Mile And One Sixteenth
FOR FILLIES, THREE YEARS OLD.
1 UNIQUE BELLA (L) '14 F 124 Smith, M Don Alberto Stable Jerry Hollendorfer
2 TAP IT ALL (L) '14 F 120 Gonzalez, S ERJ Racing LLC or Reddam Racing LLC Doug O'Neill
3 SPOOKY WOODS (L) '14 F 120 Prat, F West Point Thoroughbreds or Barker Jerry Hollendorfer
4 MISTRESSOFTHENIGHT (L) '14 F 120 Nakatani, C Beerman Family Trust, Sayjay Racing LLC or Hall Richard Baltas
5 WHAT WHAT WHAT (L) '14 F 120 Bejarano, R W. C. Racing, Haymes or Khan Doug O'Neill
6 NOTED AND QUOTED (L) '14 F 124 Garcia, M Speedway Stable, LLC Bob Baffert
7 ABEL TASMAN (L) '14 F 124 Talamo, J China Horse Club or Clearsky Farms Simon Callaghan

Click on Tap It All: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... mmary.html

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: The Gr III Santa Ysabel

Postby Cree » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:02 am

Songbird is back with Hollendorfer, don't know any other information.
I am really looking forward to seeing the big grey filly run again.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:17 am

Cree wrote:Songbird is back with Hollendorfer, don't know any other information.
I am really looking forward to seeing the big grey filly run again.

Hi Cree,
Thanks for the Songbird info, glad to hear she's on the track. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Here's the finish:
Unique Bella...I've seen Smith put up much better rides than this one today.
Abel Tasman...ran a nice race off the layoff, putting in a strong rally.
Spooky Woods
Mistressofthenight

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:10 pm

There was over 900k dollars bet on show for Unique Bella. There was a time early in the stretch that it looked like she was slowing down, but once Abel Tasman got close, she took off again. But it was a very dramatic moment.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi George,
I was talking about the action early on when Bella broke a bit slow and Smith split the two horses on the lead knocking one to the outside. I thought there would be an inquiry...but then I realized it was another Hollendorfer horse he bumped. The 2nd horse ran well...but if she couldn't get to Bella, after the way Smith rode her today, she most likely never will:>) Check out the replay. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?tra ... ountry=USA

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanks for the link. In my opinion, Unique Bella won the race just on class alone. When I saw her breaking a step behind, and then forcing her way among the front runners, pushing the one to the side, I thought that she lost the race there. Class prevailed, and I hope she does much better going forward.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:51 am

Georgerz wrote:Thanks for the link. In my opinion, Unique Bella won the race just on class alone. When I saw her breaking a step behind, and then forcing her way among the front runners, pushing the one to the side, I thought that she lost the race there. Class prevailed, and I hope she does much better going forward.

Hi George,
Agreed, no doubt she is all class but she was also that much the best of the group and he could have waited. So why would Smith opt to bull his way between the two leaders? Aside from making contact with his stablemate, there could have been the possibility of injury to either or both horses. It just isn't something Smith would do and after watching the replay a few times...I'm going to blame it on a headstrong Unique Bella and not Mike Smith. Guess if Bella decides she's going to do something, no jock is gonna restran her...looking forward to her next start in the Santa Anita Oaks, minus the drama:>) TJ