Looking for a trainer at Mountaineer

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Looking for a trainer at Mountaineer

Postby ageecee » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:55 pm

that is honest and reliable and doesnt charge an arm and a leg. Ready set go....

madelyn

Re: Looking for a trainer at Mountaineer

Postby madelyn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:19 am

I think you may have a tough row to hoe there. I was at Mahoning Valley recently, where many Mountaineer folk go to winter when the mountain is closed. They were mainly grousing about the future with the recent severe purse cuts at the mountain, and pondering their future if the money does not "come back". Trainers need to earn a living like anyone else and a low day rate cannot sustain if there is no percentage to be had. If you look at what it actually costs on average to train (properly):

$15 day for exercise rider
$5 day for hotwalker
$15 day for groom
$10 day for feed and hay
$6 day for bedding

plus supplements, incidental supplies etc. Plus stall rent if the track is not running or you are at a training center.

When the purse is cut (like this past winter at Turfway Park where MCL $5K went for $5100) the trainer's percentage doesn't come close to compensating. (10% of $3060 for a win. I do not bill any percentage to an owner on a purse transaction below $2500).
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Madelyn where do you train at?

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:51 am

[quote="madelyn"]I think you may have a tough row to hoe there. I was at Mahoning Valley recently, where many Mountaineer folk go to winter when the mountain is closed. They were mainly grousing about the future with the recent severe purse cuts at the mountain, and pondering their future if the money does not "come back". Trainers need to earn a living like anyone else and a low day rate cannot sustain if there is no percentage to be had. If you look at what it actually costs on average to train (properly):

$15 day for exercise rider
$5 day for hotwalker
$15 day for groom
$10 day for feed and hay
$6 day for bedding

plus supplements, incidental supplies etc. Plus stall rent if the track is not running or you are at a training center.

When the purse is cut (like this past winter at Turfway Park where MCL $5K went for $5100) the trainer's percentage doesn't come close to compensating. (10% of $3060 for a win. I do not bill any percentage to an owner on a purse transaction below $2500).[/quote]

Sorry it dont cost that much to train a horse if you know what u doing. I know what it costs. $6 day for bedding?
Purses suck at Mountaineer so no owner is going to pay the day rate at Mountaineer so trainers will have to cut deals to get horses. If not trainers wont have any horses and it will be a bunch of 3 horse fields.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:53 am

you have a PM

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:50 pm

My horses are at High Point where, admittedly, we do not generally hire hotwalkers because there is a Eurociser for each barn. Those costs are kind of standard costs. Straw is generally $6 a bale and a lot of tracks will only permit straw. You can use a bale a day for bedding. I use pellets ($6 per bag) so I get away just a bit cheaper, maybe $30-$36 a week. The trainers around me who use sawdust seem to run through a load every 3 weeks for an average of 4 horses it's $350 for the load plus $50 for those hardworkers that will move it into a stall for you if you want to pay and have one available. That comes to about $34 per week per horse which would round out to about $5 per day for bedding. ageecee what do you use for bedding that is so much cheaper?? And with your extreme knowledge and much cheaper training costs, how many races have you won? The trainers who were at Mahoning from Mountaineer were talking about just not going there at all. If the trainer can't get paid back for the win the trainer is not going to waste the time and money to train there and be locked in by the racing secretary.

If I am going to pay all of the expenses for a horse I am going to own all of the horse and not share the purse. I do have partners in some that are 50/50 deal where they bought half of the horse and pay half of the day rate.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:19 pm

[quote="madelyn"]My horses are at High Point where, admittedly, we do not generally hire hotwalkers because there is a Eurociser for each barn. Those costs are kind of standard costs. Straw is generally $6 a bale and a lot of tracks will only permit straw. You can use a bale a day for bedding. I use pellets ($6 per bag) so I get away just a bit cheaper, maybe $30-$36 a week. The trainers around me who use sawdust seem to run through a load every 3 weeks for an average of 4 horses it's $350 for the load plus $50 for those hardworkers that will move it into a stall for you if you want to pay and have one available. That comes to about $34 per week per horse which would round out to about $5 per day for bedding. ageecee what do you use for bedding that is so much cheaper?? And with your extreme knowledge and much cheaper training costs, how many races have you won? The trainers who were at Mahoning from Mountaineer were talking about just not going there at all. If the trainer can't get paid back for the win the trainer is not going to waste the time and money to train there and be locked in by the racing secretary.

If I am going to pay all of the expenses for a horse I am going to own all of the horse and not share the purse. I do have partners in some that are 50/50 deal where they bought half of the horse and pay half of the day rate.[/quote]

Im not a trainer im an owner. But ive worked on the backside enough to know how much it costs to train. I use rice chaff or shavings when i was working. Ive won 41 races out of 192 starts thats a 21% win clip. How about yourself how many wins and starts do you have?

If trainers at Mountaineer dont cut deals they will be out of business and Mountaineer will be running 3 horse fields. Its not feasible anymore for owners to pay a day rate at the Mountain anymore. An owner cant make money running for purses of $6100 and $6300. They just cant.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Madelyn how many wins do you have?

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Earth calling Madelyn earth calling Madelyn..

How many wins do you have?

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:39 am

[quote="ageecee"]Earth calling Madelyn earth calling Madelyn..

How many wins do you have?[/quote]

5 wins in 71 starts and your questioning me how many wins i have? Pleaseeeee..................

20dourmdd
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 20dourmdd » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:35 am

I haven't raced at the Mountain for about two years, but I had a good trainer that worked with me on training the horses etc. ($10/day; 50% of Purse $; I furnished the hay, feed, supplements, and vet)
The trainer was good and we could stay in the owner racing, but if the horses didn't have it anymore, the trainer would tell me to take the horse off the track. This kept me in racing for quite awhile because of the agreement (verbal). I only raced horses that I bred and raised. Just my two cents worth!

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Sent you a PM 20?

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:56 am

Still looking

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:50 pm

[quote="ageecee"][quote="ageecee"]Earth calling Madelyn earth calling Madelyn..

How many wins do you have?[/quote]

5 wins in 71 starts and your questioning me how many wins i have? Pleaseeeee..................[/quote]

Congrats Madelyn your now up to 7 wins keep up the good work