Animal Kingdom's First American Starter a Winner

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TJ
Darley line

Animal Kingdom's First American Starter a Winner

Postby TJ » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:22 am

Two Year Old filly Sunny Skies, Animal Kingdom's first starter in America, made every pole a winning one at Keeneland today. Very impressive debut for trainer Kenny McPeek and owner Normandy Farm (Nancy Polk). TJ

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Re: Animal Kingdom's First American Starter a Winner

Postby Shergar » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:40 am

Nice win, but always wonder how these early 2yo runners will pan out.

I see she is from the very distinguished family of 2s of Secretariat fame.

Regards,
Shergar

PS: I'm not in any way downplaying Animal Kingdoms first American winner. I hope he has a bunch of them. He was one of my favorite horses. Won a pile of cash on him when he won the derby.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:13 pm

Examples:

Is Everybody Happy, Maclean's Music's first winner, ran 3rd yesterday in a $25,000 claiming race. The horse has never won since his maiden win at 4.5 furlongs last May.

Shackleford's first winner Little Nappy, hasn't started since his win last May.

Bode's Dream, first winner for Bodemeister, won 3 straight - MSW in May, Astoria S. in June, and House Party S. in December. Since then she was 2nd in the Old Hat S. in January, and 9th in G2 Forward Gal in February.

Maximum Edge, first winner for Dialed In, broke her maiden in May, then ran 5th in the Debutante S. in July, and 8th in an allowance in Sept of last year.

Outwork, Uncle Mo's first winner, broke his maiden in Apr/15, then took a break until Feb/16 and won an allowance, ran 2nd in the Tampa Bay Derby (G2) in March, won the Wood Memorial (G1) in April, ran 14th in the Derby and retired.

Tia Flor first winner for Archarcharch, has run 21 times 4 wins. Allowance level horse.

Hootenanny first winner for Quality Road, was a darn good 2-year-old, running 2nd in the Prix Morny (Fr-1) and winning the BC Juvenile Turf (G1). Since his juvenile year he has placed in a stakes and won two allowance races. He's certainly a sprinter.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:10 am

Yes, agree to both Shergar and Cree, in most cases that is the what happens. What impressed me more than her win, was the fact Animal Kingdom would produce such a precocious 2YO in the first place given his breeding and race record. Started at two turns, never sprinted ran on anything but was always expected to be best on the turf. So to see that 2YO filly win like that at first asking kind of blew me away and changed my opinion of what Animal Kingdom's progeny might accomplish here on dirt.
That being said, it's always good to get these 2YO's out and ready as soon as possible....especially if you have Classic aspirations. The 2YO season is very important to participate in from a physical/fitness aspect in the future. Don't want to have the curse of Apollo take you down:>) Some are simply flash in the pans and were never expected to be much more than sprinters in the first place. Others come out with a plan to the future and get their 2YO work behind them...than are lightly raced or put away for bigger and better down the road when turning 3. Granted the 4.5f distance is a bit iffy to move forward from, but than there is always the other side of the coin...like Classic Empire who won at 4.5 in May. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:19 am

Every now and then if I like a sire I'll throw his first few runners into my stable mail. Most of them don't do much.
And what TJ said - exactly. They're coming out running for Animal Kingdom, a good thing!
I am still excited to see how Orb does, because his 2-year-olds have been selling very well, and Malibu Moon isn't getting any younger.

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:33 pm

TJ;

Yes, I too did a bit of a double take when I saw an Animal Kingdom 2yo entered.

Shergar