The GR I Pacific Classic

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Re: The GR I Pacific Classic

Postby skeenan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:11 pm

What?? 115 Beyer!? Wow.
Maybe we're all watching the wrong horse, haha...

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:44 pm

skeenan wrote:What?? 115 Beyer!? Wow.
Maybe we're all watching the wrong horse, haha...

Hi Skeenan,
LOL....There are a lot of factors that will influence the BC Classic and I think as impressive as Collected was....when push comes to shove in the Classic we'll have Collected, Gun Runner, Accelerate along with some of the 3YO's that have speed (who will be in the Classic, like Classic Empire, Always Dreaming and Tapwrit) so the pace will be very hot. I don't think Collected will be able to handle a fit Arrogate after being softened up by the likes of these. Arrogate should run over the top of them....even though I don't think he likes the Del Mar surface, he's just better than these when he's fit. The other factor is his soundness at this point. We did see him reluctant to switch in his most recent work, which is a red flag. If he holds together training up to the BC Classic, he should be in peak form and no one will be able to beat him 3rd start off a lengthy layoff..which looks more and more like what's needed for Arrogate to return to his invincible pre-Dubai fitness level. It's still possible he was working through some physical issues during that 4 month break (but we'll never know for sure). Watching his race he looked like he was done, but came back on a 2nd wind....another likely indication of not being fit enough. Hopefully it is the lack of fitness scenario and not the Unbridled's Song rearing its ugly head?? TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:43 am

It'll definitely be a build-up leading to it, if Arrogate is now off until then. Which Arrogate will show up? And hopefully, he stays sound (crossing fingers!). I agree with you—no one will stand up to Arrogate, if he returns in superfreak form. If he doesn't, I hope Collected brings it on to Gun Runner and the others. Will be exciting!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 am

skeenan wrote:It'll definitely be a build-up leading to it, if Arrogate is now off until then. Which Arrogate will show up? And hopefully, he stays sound (crossing fingers!). I agree with you—no one will stand up to Arrogate, if he returns in superfreak form. If he doesn't, I hope Collected brings it on to Gun Runner and the others. Will be exciting!

Hi Skeenan,
Looks like Baffert will now train both Collected and Arrogate up to the Classic. I have no worries about Arrogate being ready off 11 weeks prior to his race...he's shown us in the past he can handle 11 weeks between starts. It was the 4 months off and the grueling race schedule that caused the hiccup. His last race is better than most give him credit for....the big "IF" will still be soundness as Arrogate will have to train hard and not miss a beat to be ready....but, this is where Baffert excels as a trainer. TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:59 am

TJ wrote:Looks like Baffert will now train both Collected and Arrogate up to the Classic. I have no worries about Arrogate being ready off 11 weeks prior to his race...he's shown us in the past he can handle 11 weeks between starts. It was the 4 months off and the grueling race schedule that caused the hiccup. His last race is better than most give him credit for....the big "IF" will still be soundness as Arrogate will have to train hard and not miss a beat to be ready....but, this is where Baffert excels as a trainer. TJ

I also read that Accelerate will be pointed to the BC Dirt Mile instead. Seems like a good move for him!

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:20 pm

It seems odd to train him up to the Classic if he needs more fitness.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Cree wrote:It seems odd to train him up to the Classic if he needs more fitness.

Hi Cree,
I think he got what he needed out of his last race...he did receive a 114 beyer speed figure for the effort and showed a solid final 1/4 mile over a track he didn't really get over all that well. I'd say fitness won't be his problem in the Classic off this recent race as it was in his 1st start back in 4 months after Dubai. I'm more concerned with the way he handles that track and his overall soundness(?)...I can't get that red flag work (where he had to be urged to switch) out of what's left of my mind:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:28 am

skeenan wrote:
Is it just me, or is Donworth a beast? He looked huge in the post parade.

Hi Skeenan,
Donworth's full brother, a 2YO trained my Shug McGaughey (Victory Lane) runs for the first time Saturday in Saratoga's 1st race. Donworth won first out at GP as a 3YO...Shug's not the best with 1st time starters and drew the problematic inside post, but if he's a price might be worth $2:>)? TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:45 am

TJ wrote:Donworth's full brother, a 2YO trained my Shug McGaughey (Victory Lane) runs for the first time Saturday in Saratoga's 1st race. Donworth won first out at GP as a 3YO...Shug's not the best with 1st time starters and drew the problematic inside post, but if he's a price might be worth $2:>)? TJ

Nice! I'll keep an eye out for him! Thanks for the tip, TJ!