Steve Roman retiring

Postby vaponydoc » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:08 am

Interesting letter from Steve Roman:

http://www.chef-de-race.com/farewell.htm

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Steve Roman retiring

Postby Joltman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:15 am

While not a fan of the DI for a while, there's no question of his capabilities and contributions. He'll be missed.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:53 pm

A lot of food for thought in that letter.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:12 pm

Hear, hear!

I've been beguiled by this sport even longer than Steve and totally agree with what he says and with what we've both seen. Over the years Steve has been a willing and generous correspondent. That his disenchantment was becoming palpable was sadly evident -- and mutual.

Allison
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:24 pm

So sorry to see him go. I would hope that some budding pedigree aficionado might want to study his work to continue with it.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:11 pm

madelyn wrote:So sorry to see him go. I would hope that some budding pedigree aficionado might want to study his work to continue with it.

Hi Madelyn,
JJ Vullier and Franco Varola were the early pioneers of dosage then Romans furthered their work in the States and it became very popular after Leon Rasmussen introduced it into his bloodlines column in the DRF. Romans work will continue with his UK associate Steve Miller, who has worked with Romans in the creation of chef-de-race stallions for the past 20 years. Here's a little article from a couple years back that speaks of Steve Millers contribution to dosage. TJ

http://www.drf.com/news/gone-west-montj ... sage-sires

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:26 am

Thanks TJ as I am getting pretty ancient myself I find myself worrying about the future of all that great data. While much of it has subjective limitations, it provides newbies with some kind of starting point.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

saroman
Newborn

Postby saroman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:49 pm

Steve Roman's book, "Dosage: Pedigree & Performance", revised and updated through this year's TC races, is now available as a free download in pdf format at http://saroman7.wixsite.com/dosage.

BookieBuster
Maiden Special Weight

Postby BookieBuster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:33 pm

I missed this posting and news when it occurred last year. Curious to know why he retired. I went to his website today to see if (or when) Galileo was added asa Chef-de-Race and was shocked to see the entire website down.

http://www.chef-de-race.com/farewell.htm

Perchance, did anyone save a copy of this that they can email to me or post here?

vaponydoc
2yo Maiden

Postby vaponydoc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:55 pm

I wish I had printed a copy. Maybe someone else did?

It was an eloquent letter and as I recall expressed dismay over the current state of racing.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am

JasonR
Newborn

Postby JasonR » Wed May 02, 2018 2:28 pm

I want to thank Steve also. Without this data base, I’d be lost. When I found Bris Ultimates It opened up a door to how horses were bred and what their parents produced. Crossing that over to pedigree.com, I was able to learn a ton about crosses and Dosage. WOW! I learned what a stayer was and how they are late bloomers that need a special way of training. From there, I started looking for 4 yr old stayers, with few starts, in claimers. I started a stable with them for the last 6 years. Two of my first picks were Dynamic Host for $32k and Willyconker for $25k. Later I found Mambo Man for $25k, all mismanaged. The first $132k earned $1.8 million. None of that would have happened without Pedigree.com
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!
45 yrs in the biz