The 2018 Preakness Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The 2018 Preakness Stakes

Postby TJ » Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 am

Might as well get started...with 11 days remaining before the Preakness, here are the probables/possibles. CONFIRMED runners will be entered to run barring any injury. There is a good chance the field will be small...but many times they come out of the woodwork at entry time:>) If anyone hears more about other entries (Possible, Probable or CONFIRMED) please post. I will edit in all other possibles on this opening post as they come in. TJ
The Preakness is firming up, currently with 6 likely starters. Baffert's win with Justify marked his 5th Kentucky Derby winner...the 4 who came before him all came back to win the Preakness.
Monday could bring more confirmations as we await the decision of Bolt d'Oro, Good Magic, Lone Sailor and Pony Up.
Below the list of horses find a link to the past performance's for the Confirmed runners as well as the possible starters.

Current CONFIRMED Preakness Field
Justify...Mike Smith, Bob Baffert
Quip..Florent Geroux, Rodolphe Brisset
Diamond King... Javier Castellano, John Servis
Bravazo...Luis Saez, D. Wayne Lukas
Sporting Chance... Luis Contreras, D. Wayne Lukas
Tenfold...Ricardo Santana Jr., Steve Asmussen
Good Magic...Jose Ortiz, Chad Brown
Lone Sailor... Irad Ortiz Jr., Tom Amoss

http://www.brisnet.com/wp-content/uploa ... ness18.pdf
Last edited by TJ on Mon May 14, 2018 3:21 am, edited 14 times in total.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: The 2018 Preakness Stakes

Postby Georgerz » Wed May 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Bolt D'oro trainer and owner said that he might consider running in the Preakness, after all.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -preakness

Blended Citizen has been entered in the Peter Pan Stakes at Belmont:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -peter-pan

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed May 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Georgerz wrote:Bolt D'oro trainer and owner said that he might consider running in the Preakness, after all.

Hi George,
Thanks....I'll add him to the possible's. I would imagine we will hear more of the same from those who immediately decided they wouldn't run in the Preakness now that they have hope Justify might not make the race. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi George,
I think I'll be editing these Preakness changes everyday till it runs as Diamond King is also entered in the Peter Pan Stakes :>) I just posted the entries and PP's for the Peter Pan if you're interested. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 10, 2018 9:32 am

Justify went back to the CD track today (May 10th) and seemed to be 100% sound and pain free. He's had scratches crop up before and since he's prone to that it developed further into a cracked heel after running over a sea of slop Saturday. But the bruised heel, cracked heel and scratches seem to be in the past and Justify is rapidly healing. Here's Justify walking out of the barn this morning and hitting the hard surface of the road leading to the track and that first step on the road would have shown a twinge of pain, IF he was in any. This video is not the best, but you will see him galloping perfectly. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TxDokXIiLU

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Thu May 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Diamond King will run in the Preakness, and scratch from the Peter Pan, as has been reported. I also read a rumor, cant remember where, that T. Pletcher will enter a horse named Pony Up, which placed 3rd in the Lexington Stakes in his last race.
TJ, thanks for the updates, very appreciated.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Georgerz wrote:Diamond King will run in the Preakness, and scratch from the Peter Pan, as has been reported. I also read a rumor, cant remember where, that T. Pletcher will enter a horse named Pony Up, which placed 3rd in the Lexington Stakes in his last race.
TJ, thanks for the updates, very appreciated.

Hi George,
I'll add Pony Up to the possible's. Pletcher is considering running him, why I don't know but hey when you have as many horses as he does why not flaunt it:>) All trainers with a decent 3YO are all sitting back waiting to see a hiccup from Justify...they thought for a minute they had him...but he sure looked good today. Chad Brown and Mick Ruis will make a decision Monday about Good Magic and Bolt d'Oro respectively. TJ

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun May 13, 2018 8:18 am

Several sites are reporting today that Good Magic has been confirmed to run in the Preakness. Also Lone Sailor is among the confirmed starters.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 13, 2018 9:16 am

Georgerz wrote:Several sites are reporting today that Good Magic has been confirmed to run in the Preakness. Also Lone Sailor is among the confirmed starters.

Hi George,
Thanks...both announced a day early, which means both horses must be doing very well! If Justify is going to win the TC, you can't just throw him a softball field going into the Preakness. With Good Magic in there Justify will have to run hard if he wants to win the TC. Not only that, I thought Good Magic deserved a rematch, glad Chad went with it. I also think Lone Sailor is better then his Derby run showed, so this Preakness just got real interesting:>) Even if Justify wins the Preakness....he will need to run 2 tough races back to back now and then meet a fresh field of competitors in the Belmont Stakes. Justify's gonna have to give everything he's got out there on the racetrack if he's gonna take down the TC. Guess we'll hear about Bolt tomorrow? TJ

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun May 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Now, it's reported that Bolt D'oro will skip the Preakness, and instead will be pointed to the Metropolitan Mile.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... preakness/

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Georgerz wrote:Now, it's reported that Bolt D'oro will skip the Preakness, and instead will be pointed to the Metropolitan Mile.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... preakness/

Hi George,
Thanks for that update....just have Pletcher's decision about Pony Up to go. I doubt he'll run after Good Magic and Sailor decided to run. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon May 14, 2018 3:08 am

Todd Pletcher's Pony Up will not run in the Preakness (a smart decision in my book)...so the start of the final week going into Saturday's Preakness is currently set at eight confirmed runners. That won't stop a possible touch of Preakness fever come Wednesday morning at entry time:>) Whatever possible influx of so-so runners who may enter will just be additional traffic. The good news is Justify will have some solid competition to deal with and won't have the Preakness handed to him on a silver platter. The bad news is lots of rain is expected all week long leading up to and including Preakness Day.
Current confirmed field for the Preakness is listed at the top of this thread with past performances. TJ

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon May 14, 2018 5:35 am

Seems like the news of the foot problem gave jolt of optimism for owners who ran up the track against Justify. I wonder if Justify will get the perfect trip again. Would be interesting to see if somebody tossed in a rabbit.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon May 14, 2018 5:37 am

Seems like the news of the foot problem gave jolt of optimism for owners who ran up the track against Justify. I wonder if Justify will get the perfect trip again. Would be interesting to see if somebody tossed in a rabbit.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon May 14, 2018 6:58 am

Joltman wrote:Seems like the news of the foot problem gave jolt of optimism for owners who ran up the track against Justify. I wonder if Justify will get the perfect trip again. Would be interesting to see if somebody tossed in a rabbit.

jm

Hi Jolt,
Honestly considering the track conditions in the Derby, the top 8 finishers should all be running back in the Preakness....though it's odds on they won't get a fast track at Pimlico. Good Magic certainly deserves a shot and I'm glad to see him in there keeping Justify honest. The foot issue is over but it isn't why Chad decided to run in the Preakness. Magic was tired and tucked up after the Derby...but he's come on strong and picked up weight in recent days and Chad can't wait to get to Pimlico. Two of these lower leg issues Justify has dealt with before, scratches and cracked heels. The bruised heel was an additional development after going a mile and a quarter over that hard and treacherous track at CD in the Derby. That was the issue which caused the tenderness. He was 3/4'd on his left hind hoof to alleviate the pain from the bruised heel. The blacksmith re-shod Justify with a full shoe and he galloped 100% today. That being said, the Derby had a big time rabbit in there, Promises Fulfilled, first 1/4 in 22.24 and a 1/2 in 45.77 which was attended all the way by Justify..that's pretty fast. Yet no one was able to catch him even though the final fractions slowed considerably? Remember how Promises Fulfilled destroyed the Florida Derby pace by going to the lead at all cost allowing Audible to come from off the pace to win that race. So the Preakness won't be a problem even if a rabbit is entered, if they couldn't run over Justify in the Derby (with the added distance) it's much less likely to happen in the Preakness. If the owners of Justify were worried about the pace...they never would have entered their other horse...Quip, who will most likely be Smith's pacesetter in the Preakness. Justify gets perfect trips because his competition is darned if they go with him and dead if they don't. He is a race horse with a very high cruising speed and that's the reason how/why he gets "perfect trips". TJ