3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Conformation

Postby 3nutmeg » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:07 am

Could you live with: broodmare prospect
1. Long pasterns
2. Toes out front - doesn't paddle, travels straight
3. Toes out behind - slightly
Is this always passed on to foals? I realize farriers can work with foals that toe out.
Last edited by 3nutmeg on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TJ
Darley line

Re: Conformation

Postby TJ » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:11 pm

3nutmeg wrote:Could you live with:
1. Long pasterns
2. Toes out front - doesn't paddle, travels straight
3. Toes out behind - slightly

Hi Nutmeg,
If you're talking about a racehorse...Long upright pasterns aren't desirable as it can reduce the ability to absorb concussion which leads to an increased chance of suspensory, bone and/or joint issues. Long sloped pasterns apply excess stress on the tendons and ligaments and in severe cases the fetlock will actually hit the ground, causing a possible fracture of the sesamoid bones.
Toeing out puts excess pressure on the medial (inner) aspect of the hoof...a good blacksmith might be able to help out with this. But if this one animal toes out front and rear and has long pasterns it could be tough to get the horse to the races without injury as the tempo increases. TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:53 am

In a broodmare one of those on the list might not be a deal killer but All of Them?? Actually, in conformation for a broodmare I look for the total aspect. At least 16h with a very full body, nice long hip, good long sloping shoulder. Legs should be well placed. Not too short backed and a good longer slope up over the sacroliac. The straighter the spine there the better. Head and neck proportional and the mare should just really have Nothing out of place.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 3nutmeg » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:24 am

Thank you Madelyn. Here's a couple of pics of her feet. The mare has white ankles which threw me off. She does toes out in front. Back doesn't seem bad. I'm told she doesn't paddle. It definitely doesn't look pretty. In a foal, could this be worked with a farrier?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7ckBdNar9MLdfLmh1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/idBXqopL4QDRiRe89

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oLiXC8wvrqTN0oX63

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MmtJXW95CNEudwC53

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Not trying to be mean here, but these aren't good confirmation shots. Without a saddle and squared up is best. And from the pictures you show I wouldn't use her as a broodmare. I just don't like her hip the way the pictures present it. And I agree with Madelyn and TJ both.And remember you would have to breed her to a correct stallion and hope the toeing out isn't dominate. A farrier can only do so much. Just my personal opinion
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 3nutmeg » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:57 am

Thank you. Everyone's opinion was greatly appreciated, and confirmed my gut feelings about this mare.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:34 pm

That is good. It just costs So Much in time money and emotion to breed and try to get a good sound baby that can race that it's too risky a venture to start out compromised. There are some awfully nice broodmare prospects out there looking for homes because they are Not riding sound.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:32 am

Good choice. When you're trying to figure out what you'll need to correct a foal's conformation issues before you've bought the broodmare or decided on a stallion, it's probably not a good sign.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:35 am

Madelyn, I'm trying to pm you but i don't think messages are going through.

madelyn wrote:In a broodmare one of those on the list might not be a deal killer but All of Them?? Actually, in conformation for a broodmare I look for the total aspect. At least 16h with a very full body, nice long hip, good long sloping shoulder. Legs should be well placed. Not too short backed and a good longer slope up over the sacroliac. The straighter the spine there the better. Head and neck proportional and the mare should just really have Nothing out of place.