The 150th Running of The GR I Belmont Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Re: The 150th Running of The GR I Belmont Stakes

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:56 pm

mehile wrote:How have Justify's silks been changed? Has there been a shift in the owner percentages? I didn't realize they could be changed once they were set unless there was an ownership change.

Hi M,
No it was a deal they made with the co-owners. Today China Horse Club silks were being used, not WinStar's. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Beautiful run by the big, red colt. He really is something to behold.
I feel like I’m missing out on the fun of 2 Triple Crown winners because I am not a real fan of Baffert, and that is that.
I do think Justify has done something really amazing, and feel pretty happy that Ghostzapper is the broodmare sire, and the Storm Cat sire line lives on!!!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:04 am

Below find the press conference after the Belmont Stakes. Baffert with a smile on his face, brought up to Smith about the Preakness and why it was so close (24:30 into the video below). They were very lucky Bravazo didn't have a bit more in the tank because he would have gotten beat in the Preakness. Smith was so focused on Good Magic and after he saw Magic was retiring he measured Justify to the wire to save a bit extra for the 2 week turn around and his TC bid. Smith was very lucky to get away with the win. That being said, one thing which went unmentioned was Justify jumping tire tracks going under the wire the first time during the running of the Preakness. Due to the fog it could have gone unnoticed...but the great photographer Barbara Livingston's uncanny ability caught the action...and it was probably while he was all ready on his way down. Smith said he could see the tracks and felt Justify getting ready to jump so he hunkered down in those tiny stirrups and hoped to remain on board. As we know, he did stay on board, but almost blew it at the wire anyway:>) For a big horse he is the most athletic son of a gun I've ever seen. Below see what is certain to be another award winning photo by this great photographer, Barbara Livingston. TJ

Justify Jumping in the air during the Preakness: https://scontent.fmia1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5BAC06D0
Belmont Stakes Press Conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PPMJwG7YgU

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:52 am

When Justify's sire, Scat Daddy, dropped dead back in 2015 Ashford had already jumped his fee to $100K for 2016. I wonder what it would have been next year?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:26 am

madelyn wrote:When Justify's sire, Scat Daddy, dropped dead back in 2015 Ashford had already jumped his fee to $100K for 2016. I wonder what it would have been next year?

Hi Madelyn,
That was a serious loss...no telling where Scat Daddy's stud fee would have gone to. His death will probably guarantee Justify's first year stud fee will be off the charts? TJ

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Great run by Justify, pretty much had his own way with it again. No target on his back like Smarty Jones. I wonder - was Baffert's other one out there running interference for him, keeping anyone else from pressuring him early?

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Yes, Joltman, that was my thought, too. But, in retrospect, Justify did not need any help.
With the "helplessly outclassed " Grontkowsk running a clear second, you wonder what he really beat, but I do not want to downgrade his tremendous accomplishment in any way. A worthwhile TC winner!
Wonder where he goes next!?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:09 am

I can see the controversy leading into the first turn of the Belmont Stakes being looked into. It is a bit extraordinary to think a rider as accomplished as Florent Geroux would be a party to such a conspiracy...it is a bit crazy...but it certainly looked strange? The owner of Restoring Hope was a bit perplexed over the whole thing...he later said his horse never should have run in the race and he did not belong? Mike Repole wants the stewards to investigate Geroux's ride because Repole was unable to follow through with his plan to pressure Justify early with his lesser entry, Noble Indy (who he owns in partnership with WinStar). To me it falls back on Castellano not wanting to press the pace (after being told to do so by Pletcher and Repole). Truth be told Castellano had plenty time to get to the lead after he out-broke Restoring Hope out of the gate. Not only that, when Restoring Hope made that odd run into the first turn, he went to the extreme outside leaving room enough for anyone to come through inside and take the lead...no one did? So...Castellano simply chose not to follow instructions and that also has Repole upset. I doubt we've heard the last of this...but what's good for the goose is good for the gander even if there actually was a conspiracy being hatched between both camps:>) TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:00 am

The Preakness showed he could be vulnerable if someone went with him like Good Magic did, and it would not be surprising if Restoring Hope was used to minimize that. Seems like a dangerous thing to do in a couple of ways including the sport’s reputation. In reality though, if Noble Indy went with him, I doubt Noble Indy would have beat him, but perhaps Gronkowski would have got there? Or Vino Rosso would have sustained his run?
Ultimately, if this were all true and Justify didn’t need the help, why play dirty? It just puts a bad taste in your mouth.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:20 pm

All anyone has to do is read the official chart or watch a replay. Restoring Hope was well off the rail and did not block any runners. There was always room for any runner to go early. If his owner believed he should not have been entered then all he had to do was scratch, he did not, he paid the entry/starter fees and went with it. To admit now that he did not like it is hard to believe. New shooters have won/ran well in the Belmont, especially when there is a Triple Crown at stake. The 150th was no different. If I was Baffert, Repole and the owner would get a phone call from me that they would never forget. It is just another way that sour grapes casts a big shadow on this industry. I have never been a big Baffert fan, but he has cemented his place in the Hall of Fame as well as Mike Smith. When I saw the time for the first 6 furlongs I knew it was over for all of the others, this horse can work 6 furlongs in 1:13 and work another 6 in 1:14 any day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

DDT

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:28 am

After watching the replay over and over I believe Geroux's actions on board Restoring Hope was due to the horse and not the rider. Seems he's a hard to handle horse and the type of horse who needs to be in the clear and after he broke a bit slow...he'd likely rush up into the field, so Geroux figured the safest thing to do was send him through. He feared if Restoring Hope stayed behind horses, it could have created a serious problem had Restoring Hope decided to run up on heels of another horse to get in the clear. I saw Geroux doing his best to settle Restoring Hope, he tried in vain to slow him down pulling him back with his feet in the dashboard....but Restoring Hope wasn't going to settle. So Geroux moved him off the inside to the outside and that's when Restoring Hope came back to him and settled somewhat.
For these reasons I doubt there will be any further investigation into Repole's allegations for the ride Geroux put up with Restoring Hope. If Restoring Hope did interfere with Bravazo and Noble Indy there would have been a jockey's objection and there was none. If Repole was sure Geroux was riding recklessly and interfered with Noble Indy, as an owner he could have lodged a claim of foul himself but he did not. To complain about this after the fact is just poor sportsmanship. Noble Indy who was supposed to press the pace had every opportunity to do it, but Castellano himself said after his horse broke a bit slow, Noble Indy simply didn't have enough speed to press Justify....whose first 1/4 fraction was the 2nd fastest fractional time in the last 10 running's of the Belmont Stakes. TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:46 am

So... let’s talk about the points system. Two Triple Crown winners, 3 years apart, since the new points system began in 2012.
Does anyone think that was a factor? I find it interesting, and also think it has improved the Derby (at least).

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:34 am

Cree wrote:So... let’s talk about the points system. Two Triple Crown winners, 3 years apart, since the new points system began in 2012.
Does anyone think that was a factor? I find it interesting, and also think it has improved the Derby (at least).

I’ve looked at the triple crown winner dates and noticed a pattern in which winners seem to happen in groups, like Secretariat, Seattle Slew and Affirmed. After AP won it, I told my hubby I wouldn’t be surprised if another horse wins in the next few years... and Justified did it. :D

Sir Barton (1919), Gallant Fox (1930), Omaha (1935), War Admiral (1937), Whirlaway (1941), Count Fleet (1943), Assault (1946), Citation (1948), Secretariat (1973), Seattle Slew (1977), Affirmed (1978), American Pharoah (2015), and Justify (2018).

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:27 pm

skeenan wrote:
Cree wrote:So... let’s talk about the points system. Two Triple Crown winners, 3 years apart, since the new points system began in 2012.

I’ve looked at the triple crown winner dates and noticed a pattern in which winners seem to happen in groups, like Secretariat, Seattle Slew and Affirmed. After AP won it, I told my hubby I wouldn’t be surprised if another horse wins in the next few years... and Justified did it. :D

Sir Barton (1919), Gallant Fox (1930), Omaha (1935), War Admiral (1937), Whirlaway (1941), Count Fleet (1943), Assault (1946), Citation (1948), Secretariat (1973), Seattle Slew (1977), Affirmed (1978), American Pharoah (2015), and Justify (2018).

Hi Skeenan,
I mentioned in an earlier post...growing up good and bad things seemed to come in threes. I was there to see all three of those TC Champions in the 70's and I'm waiting now for a 3rd TC winner in this decade...we have two years left, hope we see it happen:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi Cree,
This new points system can very well be the reason why we saw these last two TC winners. Reason being the points system was instituted so sprinter type horses would be eliminated from running in the Classics. So it virtually eliminated a fast pace in these races. We can go back and thank Trinniberg for this, who pressed fast fractions in the Derby after qualifying (pre-points system) winning two notable stakes going 7/8ths (The Swale and The Bayshore). Trinniberg actually raced Bodemeister into defeat going 22.32, 45.39, 1:09.80, 1:35.19. T-berg faded to 17th after pressing Bode the first mile and he got run over through the lane by I'll Have Another. I do remember Baffert crying after that and poof....here comes the new points system keeping early speed horses out of the race by eliminating the points value of the 7/8th Stakes. So after the new system eliminated any real speed from the Classics, a horse who has good speed and stamina can take advantage of the the front end, because no one can really press them hard enough to soften them up. I never thought it was a good idea, always thought it should be the way it was, using graded stakes earnings. TJ