Girvin

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Girvin

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Girvin is retired from racing after winning some graded stakes races and lots of money. Anyone know if he is going to stud anyplace?
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Girvin

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:48 am

Ashford (Coolmore America) may be a good spot for Girvin. Girvin's grandfather, Tale of the Cat, is there, but he probably won't last much longer at stud (he is 24 years old). Giant's Causeway, who was at Ashford, recently passed away, so Ashford may be looking for another Storm Cat line stallion. That could be Girvin.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Girvin will be standing the 2019 breeding season at Ocala Stud in Florida in a deal where he will be co-owned by Ardrie Srud and Girvin's regular owners.

Girvin won the Haskell Stakes as well as the Louisiana Derby and the Risen Star Stakes.

Good luck old boy and enjoy your new job.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Ashford (Coolmore America) may be a good spot for Girvin. Girvin's grandfather, Tale of the Cat, is there, but he probably won't last much longer at stud (he is 24 years old). Giant's Causeway, who was at Ashford, recently passed away, so Ashford may be looking for another Storm Cat line stallion. That could be Girvin.

I guess that Ashford is getting their Storm Cat line stallion. His name is Justify, who just won the triple crown. Maybe he will be a good replacement for Giant's Causeway. I hope so.

Good luck Justify.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:
Shawklit Won wrote:Ashford (Coolmore America) may be a good spot for Girvin. Girvin's grandfather, Tale of the Cat, is there, but he probably won't last much longer at stud (he is 24 years old). Giant's Causeway, who was at Ashford, recently passed away, so Ashford may be looking for another Storm Cat line stallion. That could be Girvin.

I guess that Ashford is getting their Storm Cat line stallion. His name is Justify, who just won the triple crown. Maybe he will be a good replacement for Giant's Causeway. I hope so.

Good luck Justify.

I should have mentioned that Ashford also lost Scat Daddy in 2015, which was a tough loss for the farm because Scat Daddy was a great sire and was only 11 years old. Of course, Scat Daddy was the sire of Justify, so was another Storm Cat line stallion. Justify was a great racehorse, but it is yet to be seen if he will be as good a sire as Scat Daddy was.

There was also the loss of Giant's Causeway, another great Storm Cat line stallion, who Ashford (Coolmore) may want to replace. Some Storm Cat line horses that may be going to stud soon are Mendelssohn, Seahenge, Audible, Sharp Azteca, Good Samaritan, Engage, Flameaway, and Promises Fulfilled, and others.

Mendelssohn and Seahenge probably have the best chance of those mentioned to wind up at Ashford because I think that the farm owns a piece of them. Should be interesting to see what happens.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:
Shawklit Won wrote:

Good luck Justify.

I should have mentioned that Ashford also lost Scat Daddy in 2015, which was a tough loss for the farm because Scat Daddy was a great sire and was only 11 years old. Of course, Scat Daddy was the sire of Justify, so was another Storm Cat line stallion. Justify was a great racehorse, but it is yet to be seen if he will be as good a sire as Scat Daddy was.

There was also the loss of Giant's Causeway, another great Storm Cat line stallion, who Ashford (Coolmore) may want to replace. Some Storm Cat line horses that may be going to stud soon are Mendelssohn, Seahenge, Audible, Sharp Azteca, Good Samaritan, Engage, Flameaway, and Promises Fulfilled, and others.

Mendelssohn and Seahenge probably have the best chance of those mentioned to wind up at Ashford because I think that the farm owns a piece of them. Should be interesting to see what happens.

It will be Mendelssohn. I just found out today, but don't know what his fee will be yet.

Good luck Mendelssohn and Justify. I hope that they will be adequate replacements for the recently deceased Scat Daddy and Giant's Causeway.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:20 pm

It looks like Girvin will get a nice book of mares if his owners, Brad and Misty Brady, have anything to do with it. The Brady's just bought about a dozen mares at Keeneland to breed to Girvin. They may and probably will buy some more mares for Girvin. They say that Girvin took them on the ride of their lives and they want to make sure that Girvin gets every chance to succeed at stud.

Girvin should also be supported with mares from Ardrie Stud, who also own a piece of Girvin, and Ocala Stud, where Girvin will stand starting in 2019.

Things looks good for Girvin.
Shawklit Won.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 am

I wish them luck and success. It is a Very Tall Order to try to start a stallion.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:15 pm

madelyn wrote:I wish them luck and success. It is a Very Tall Order to try to start a stallion.

I agree, but at least Girvin should get a pretty good book of mares to start.

Should be interesting to see how his progeny do at the racetrack.
Shawklit Won.