Siblings

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Siblings

Postby madelyn » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:16 am

Having finally had some time to do some deep pedigree delving and research, I was disconcerted to have not noticed this before! Oxbow and Paynter are actually virtually full brothers, both being by Awesome Again and out of Full Sisters! So it should come as no surprise that, while the results are scant since they are both very young stallions, they are striking at similar rates with similar mare lines.

I went digging - I found what I thought might be a nice broodmare prospect in Miss Texarkana. It led me into some pretty deep waters data-wise and I think I understand why the folks that have her are wanting to move on. I'd love some input from the pedigree geeks out there on this mare's possible match ups in KY in the $7500 and under category.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Re: Siblings

Postby Tappiano » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:16 am

She's had one foal and was bred to Morning line this year. If she's not in foal that's three years in a row she didn't produce a foal. She was bred to Daredevil, Gemologist (again) and now Morning line.
Do you think that's why her owners are giving up on her and that you can get her to carry a foal again?gemologist is huge maybe she's small and she's been damaged somehow?

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi Madelyn,

The horse I immediately thought of upon first looking at her pedigree -- and without looking at any family members -- was City Zip. Speed, toughness, and a cross back to Tri Jet via Thirty Zip. His son Run Away and Hide is in your budget, improving his mares, and generally doing a solid job.

Then I looked at Miss Texarkana's dam, and lo and behold, her best foals were by Lil E Tee, who was by a Buckpasser-line stallion out of a mare whose second dam was Sailaway, dam of Thirty Zip. Okay, good. I'm sure that's why Oxbow and Paynter tripped your radar, yes? Student Council's best foals all had an up-close strain of In Reality, which again would probably put Oxbow and Paynter on your radar via Baby Zip. The difference between City Zip and Ghostzapper, to me, is Carson City speed versus Deputy Minister stamina. Carson City's dam Blushing Promise has crosses to speedsters Crozier and Olympia, same as the damline of Student Council's second dam Classic Value. Blushing Promise also has two crosses to Menow, via Red God and Nijinsky.

As for Run Away and Hide, he has some interesting "hooks" in his pedigree that seem to match with Miss Texarkana. His second dam is by Stalwart, who is out of an Iron Ruler mare. The mare Uvira is the second dam of both Iron Ruler and Raja Baba. Linebreeding to Uvira seems to be working with RAAH, as he has a stakes winner by Notebook, a stakes-placed horse by Raja's Revenge, and winners out of Bright Launch mares, plus Sauce Boat who has Missy Baba without AP Indy. Another interesting "hook" is the mare Quadrangle, the broodmare sire of Tri Jet's son Copelan. RAAH has a stakes winner out of a Houston mare -- Houston's dam is by Quadrangle. He also has full-sibling stakes placed gelding and winning filly out of a Houston mare and a winner out of an Afleet Alex mare (Quadrangle via Nureyette). These horses are not "big names," so seeing repeatability in them showing up suggests that those genetic lines are active with RAAH.

Roberto also seems to be active with RAAH, with stakes horses out of mares carrying Dynaformer, Arch, Rock Hard Ten, Red Ransom, full siblings War Chant and Margie's Wildcat (out of a Kris S mare), Silver Hawk, Lear Fan, and Kris S himself.

Good luck!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:52 am

YUP you got me on both counts looking at Paynter and Oxbow for those reasons. Thanks so much for your in depth info - I did not know that she'd been covered so much though. I just got "out" of a mare like that who gave me four foals in 12 years and am loathe to go into another one. I think my better strategy is to think about buying one in foal at KEEJAN or FTFEB. A free mare might cost a lot more in the long run.

I like the idea of RAAH for my Archarcharch gal, Callie Hermosa. She's got a gorgeous Thabit colt on the ground and another on the way but who knows what next spring will bring?

Thanks again!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....