Broodmare quality based on placement of offspring

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Broodmare quality based on placement of offspring

Postby mehile » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:25 am

I'm looking at a mare who's first foal has just been entered in his first race. (Waiting to pull the trigger on buying her till I saw where they placed him) He is entered in a 30K maiden claiming race at Aqueduct. What would you think of her production ability based on his placement? I like her overall. An allowance winner of 140k who raced soundly and is easy on the eyes but her sire was sent overseas and his broodmare stats aren't very good from his few crops in the states. Which is why I wanted to wait and see about her first foal.

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Broodmare quality based on placement of offspring

Postby mehile » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:07 pm

I liked his showing. He came in a respectable 2nd about 10 lengths in front of the 3rd horse.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:44 pm

From a catalog perspective it would say "x wins/starts, etc" not where they earned their money so that wouldn't matter.

You want to keep yourself in the best company and your horse in the worst. Since many first time starters are not claimed it's a good opportunity to see what you have.

NY is a tough circuit, nothing discouraging about entering for a tag first out.

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:12 am

Tappiano wrote:From a catalog perspective it would say "x wins/starts, etc" not where they earned their money so that wouldn't matter.

You want to keep yourself in the best company and your horse in the worst. Since many first time starters are not claimed it's a good opportunity to see what you have.

NY is a tough circuit, nothing discouraging about entering for a tag first out.

Thanks for the reply Tappiano. That was kinda what I was thinking too, glad to know I'm on the right track. A respectable level, not bottom 5k calming, and gave a good showing for his first time out. I feel like he's a good first foal for her even if it is judging from a very small amount of data.

Next decision is deciding to either keep the mare in NY or bring her here and breed her to a KY stallion. I'm leaning towards keeping her up there but not firmly decided yet.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:25 pm

NICE purses up there. Good stallion rosters as well. Good luck with the mare :D