Derby

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

madelyn

Derby

Postby madelyn » Sun May 05, 2019 11:50 am

Wow no chatter at all?? It looked to me like Saez made Maximum Security switch to his right lead there in the turn. One would think if it was the roar of the crowd he would not have shied TOWARD the noise. There is no doubt he impeded the #1 horse yet that was not the jock that lodged the objection. They report that Maximum Security's connections intend to file a formal protest. This could be tied up for awhile. Perhaps they should have taken TWO win pictures to have their bases covered.

I would imagine that the connections of Lookin at Lucky are also Thanking their Lucky Stars. Nothing boosts a stallion up like a classic win. On the other hand, the folks that banished New Year's Day to Brazil are likely not having a good day right now.

Any thoughts? Anyone?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Derby

Postby Joltman » Sun May 05, 2019 1:50 pm

No doubt that Max Sec came out, but IMHO this was not quite what it looks like on first blush and I think the stewards definitely got things very wrong.

1. Why no Inquiry sign - instead only the 'objections'.
2. The incriminating picture with War of Wheel's legs between Max Security's is deceiving. Max is in the two path, maybe comes out a half path at that point. BUT, War of Will was climbing on the heels of Max Security all the way around the track. Even the track announcer said as much in his race call. When they hit the top of the stretch he was coming out one way or another, and going to force his way through - with no hole.
3. The real puzzler is why Country House was not tossed? Why you may ask? Take a look at the head on at the quarter pole (Twinspires.com has it). He's making a nice sweeping move on the outside, BUT he (and the horse inside him, saw off the 21 horse Bodexpress in the yellow silks and the red cap. THAT was an accident in the making if I ever saw one. BUT no mention of that??? I think they said that the 21 filed an objection - but there's no way Max Sec was the source of his problems. It was Country House!

A total mess - and probably a lawsuit for any but maybe the classiest owners.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun May 05, 2019 6:51 pm

I think you are probably quite right, joltman. It is unfortunate. The connections of Max Sec can always go to the racing commission with their appeal. I would HATE to think this is about anything at all but the running of the race but I have that nagging "conspiracy theory" stuff that says an awful lot of decisions lately are to champion certain connections over others in the realm of KY. It's looking more like a racing monarchy lately.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Tue May 07, 2019 6:24 am

Since there is a LOT of money involved in this ruling, who stands to gain? Obviously the few who bet a 65-1 across the board and possibly even fewer in exotics.. After those folks, who profits from this decision? On another note, Bill from Wa would've loved the outcome as CH had maybe the best Conduit Mare Profile in Derby History.

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:24 am

The run might have cost War of Will a minor placing, so I guess technically he had to come down. I had a 7 / 20 Exacta, but no straight money on Country House. (I played him underneath 5+7+8 in both triples and exactas.) I watched the race and then left immediately to run an errand, thinking I'd hit the exacta. Boy, was I surprised went I got home later to check my wagering account balance!

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu May 09, 2019 10:22 am

Yikes. The era of 'overruled by NY' is coming to horse racing very soon. The video captures moments, but the whole of the race, like other sports, is often lost by one 'incriminating' view. They'll be replaying everything from now on - just hold your tickets...

jm

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 am

Fast forwarding ahead... what do you all think of the $20M challenge? I have mixed feelings... on one hand, it feels a little like sour grapes, but I get it. On the other hand, if they had a Derby “redo” race, it might be the thing that settles it. I dunno. :?

And Bodexpress... glad no one was hurt and that he stayed clear. I wonder what craziness the Belmont will bring!

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon May 20, 2019 8:44 am

Must be nice to have an extra several $mill to throw away on something like this. Why not have a match race invitational instead?

If Bode ever gets a trip...

BTW - War of Will is a beast. His strength is not just physical, but mental. He wants to go through holes and compete. Fact is, his breeding is All Turf - and if he ever gets a chance on that surface we could see some more fireworks.

jm

Sailor Kenshin
Starters Handicap

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun May 26, 2019 8:42 am

Joltman wrote:No doubt that Max Sec came out, but IMHO this was not quite what it looks like on first blush and I think the stewards definitely got things very wrong.

1. Why no Inquiry sign - instead only the 'objections'.
2. The incriminating picture with War of Wheel's legs between Max Security's is deceiving. Max is in the two path, maybe comes out a half path at that point. BUT, War of Will was climbing on the heels of Max Security all the way around the track. Even the track announcer said as much in his race call. When they hit the top of the stretch he was coming out one way or another, and going to force his way through - with no hole.
3. The real puzzler is why Country House was not tossed? Why you may ask? Take a look at the head on at the quarter pole (Twinspires.com has it). He's making a nice sweeping move on the outside, BUT he (and the horse inside him, saw off the 21 horse Bodexpress in the yellow silks and the red cap. THAT was an accident in the making if I ever saw one. BUT no mention of that??? I think they said that the 21 filed an objection - but there's no way Max Sec was the source of his problems. It was Country House!

A total mess - and probably a lawsuit for any but maybe the classiest owners.

jm

Not many seem to agree, but this was a complete screw job that sends a chilling message to anyone with a stake in the business. Maximum Security should never have come down.
Somebody bet on the gray!

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun May 26, 2019 3:15 pm

If its a targeted effort at the Wests, they picked the wrong people. They're the kind of people that have hung around the game despite this kind of stuff, for a long time. This may push them out.