Name Shame ? - Galloping Grocer (and other crazy monikers)

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Re: Name Shame ? - Galloping Grocer (and other crazy moniker

Postby Heidilady » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:55 pm

Heidilady wrote:I've thought of adding weird names to this periodically, but I'd always forget. Time for a new one. I was looking at the Fasig Tipton August sales catalog and spotted a filly out of...ready?...Thmoruplathlesupay aka 'the more you play the less you pay.' Wow what a hot mess of a name. It'll be worth watching the sale today to see the auctioneer tackle it. If he hasn't noticed and practiced (and I bet he does), it'll be pretty evident.

Update: he completely skipped it. LOL. Said 'by California Chrome' and 'Unbridled's Song mare' but definitely didn't try that one. Can't say as I blame the man. Sometimes he does that when the dam's not anything people might know, but gut feeling here is her disaster of a name didn't help.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:03 am

Who would DO that?? I pity the race callers if that one ever makes it to the starting gate.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:37 am

To revive this old topic.... my Birdstone yearling colt has a half sister by Raison d'Etat who is getting ready to make her first start as a two year old at Zia Park in the 3rd race on November 3rd. You should SEE the names in this race. Heaven forbid the 1, 3 and 5 get a lot of calls! The half sister to my colt is #3 Whodatisaywhodat... the #1 is named Binalloverdrinken (been all over drinking) and the #5 is Dansmetothendoflov (I think it is dance me to the end of love). Take PITY. I mean really.

JimbleBrimble
Starters Handicap

Postby JimbleBrimble » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Heidilady wrote:I swear why do owners do it? sure it's got alliteration but geez

that horse, just based on his database pic, looks fantastic...sucha shame that name is on him..I mean seriously I want the sport to gain more notoriety but that name's not so lovely and people hear he won a classic race, they'll snicker... I realize there've been some doozies before but I really don't see why this one was necessary. Some nice names to draw from on either side of the pedigree. I guess though with his sire AP Jet having no relation to AP Indy, funky things were bound to happen. Galloping anything is kinda suspect but ever inserting the name Grocer is pretty much bizarre at best.

Darn, why have I never seen this thread before? (or why can't I remember having seen it, 16-ish years later?)

I would love to go back to 2004 and google "Galloping Grocer", for there is a very good chance I might then have been able to explain the name's origin.

I still have an idea... but it's a little too self-involved to spell it out here.

LOL - in 2020 I was nearly at giddy upon seeing this thread title.

My gut feeling now is that Galloping Grocer got his name merely because Galloping Grocery Cart is/was too long.

JimbleBrimble
Starters Handicap

Postby JimbleBrimble » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 pm

Why have I been blocked?
This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data.

Stupid thing!!

JimbleBrimble
Starters Handicap

Postby JimbleBrimble » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:11 pm

(testing the filter that "blocked" me and my posts)

Skipitgirl wrote:I work for an Ob/GYN

So what if (the post quoted above) was 13 years ago.

(continued)

JimbleBrimble
Starters Handicap

Postby JimbleBrimble » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:13 pm

So what if (the post quoted above) was 13 years ago.

It brings to mind my nomination for the worst of all time: "Papps Mirror"

And a wise man once told me that in the late 1980's, The Jockey Club hired people who... who... who might not have been the best at knowing North American slang (or had other subtle qualifications somewhat ideal for approving English names of registered Thoroughbreds)...

... and as a result they had an inordinate number of questionable names approved in the years soon to follow.

(I only then mentioned that the name I cited above came soon afterward)

JimbleBrimble
Starters Handicap

Postby JimbleBrimble » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:14 pm

now why in the heck couldn't I post all of that stuff in the same post without being *blocked* ??

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:41 pm

sorry Jimble I couldn't find you an answer. It has happened to me. Lately it seems to be very sensitive to special characters.

In the interesting naming category I must be getting whimsical in my old age. This past Jan 29th or so we were sitting out after UofL had just won a basketball game and I was mulling and agonizing over names for my "two year old" colts - Birdstone out of Player's Court and Thabit out of Callie Hermosa. My husband suggested "Cardinal Bird" for the Birdstone colt and perhaps my eyes were a little brighter after a few beers and I was a little bolder - I jumped to my feet and rushed to the computer to send that in. My initial thought was "heck no they won't let me have that!!!" so I could have the smug satisfaction of taking the HB suggestion but being shut down by the Evil JC. It struck me, just after I hit "submit", that I should see if the name of the UofLouisville mascot was trademarked. Well It Is Trademarked but its name is NOT Cardinal Bird. It is LOUIE THE CARDINAL! So that naming attempt sat under review for four or five days and then popped up, to my complete and utter astonishment, APPROVED!!! So my Birdstone colt is officially Cardinal Bird!

Oh for the Thabit colt, who is a brutally tough colt, big black and burly with a white star, I went with "Count Blackula".

Bettina
Allowance Winner

Postby Bettina » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:57 am

Hello,
there are several "weird names" of Germanbred racehorses running at the Moment and historical. For understandable reason the fun would be lost in Translation.

Nevertheless here 2 'english named horses' with a bit of wordplay:
A head Ahead (Makfi-Allegro Vivace by Muhtathir)
Say Good Buy (Showcasing-Strela by Lomitas)

regards, Ticino