New Stallions?

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

New Stallions?

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:00 am

So I know it is early but I'm interested in knowing opinions on who the Hot Great Value new sires will be in 2020 in KY?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: New Stallions?

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:13 pm

Catholic Boy (More Than Ready) at Claiborne could be interesting.
Shawklit Won.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Nice pedigree I suppose but 25K is a lot to throw down on a new one.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:32 am

Demarchelier at Claiborne looks (to me) to be a strategic acquisition: a suitable sire for War Front mares, and locally planning for a US market after both Kitten's Joy and English Channel are no longer standing.

His female line is stunning -- tail female to Mumtaz Mahal -- and recently it is as broad as it is deep. His dam is a full sister to a Moyglare Stud Stakes winner (IRE-1), a champion mare who is an Irish 1000 Guineas winner, and a third who was placed multiple times at Gr-1 level without getting the chocolates herself. That mare foaled a Gr-2 winner at Royal Ascot. The Guineas winner foaled Pretty Polly Stakes winner (Ire-1) Diamondsandrubies and stakes-placed You'll Be Mine, dam of multiple graded stakes winner Eminent. Go back further and you'll find champions Albanova, Alleluia, Aussie Rules, and Midas Touch, Prix Royal Oak winner Allegretto, Grand Prix de St-Cloud winner Coronet, and so on.

IMO he's fairly priced given that as productive as his female line is, it hasn't produced a successful stallion in some time, that the jury is still out on Dubawi as a sire of sires, and that the turf market in the US won't support him at a higher price.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:00 am

Interesting horse, km. But for me it's one thing to unintentionally end up with a turf only runner; it's quite another kind of mistake to intentionally breed one. Turf racing in my area (KY, IN, OH) is just so scarce and unreliable. You'd be hard pressed to get On the Grass, the Right Distance, Get IN the Race, etc etc etc more than 5 or 6 times in a whole racing year. And probably 30% of the time you do have all that, you've paid to ship, got your Lasix, and now the darned race comes off the grass. So no, I would not Pay to breed to a Grass Horse. They would have to pay me and even then I would really have to think about that.

Adena tried it with North Light albeit at a much higher fee. So that is in this horse's favor that he's standing for something much more reasonable. But if you think there's "no turf racing" well around here there is "No Cheap Turf Racing" at all. Breeding a cheap grass horse - well the resulting foal might be a nice sporthorse prospect if you keep it Really Sound through its attempts at racing.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:02 am

I see Verrazano and Astrology have left the bluegrass. What other youngsters have been banished?

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:58 pm

madelyn wrote:Interesting horse, km. But for me it's one thing to unintentionally end up with a turf only runner; it's quite another kind of mistake to intentionally breed one.

Breeders like you aren't the target demographic here -- there's a small but "good enough" market for horses like this in Europe, Japan, and South America, and so the likes of Summer Front, Astern, Demarchelier, Daddy Long Legs, Noble Mission, and Oscar Performance each fill The Designated Grass Horse Slot at their respective farms (arguably Fast Anna fits here). Get a well-performing but modestly bred mare or a maiden-winning sister to a Nice Horse at a sale, get her in foal to one of these, export. If the stallion syndicate is lucky, they'll get a War Front, Kittens Joy, or English Channel. If not, if the horse is merely average like most stallions, he goes to South America or maybe South Africa.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:46 am

Yes I see that - but at a 5K fee I don't know what export potential he has.

Let me rephrase my original question. So I know it is early but I'm interested in knowing opinions on who the Hot Great Value new sires for local breeders hoping to run the foal in KY, IN or OH will be in 2020 in KY?

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:07 pm

Two time graded stakes winner Enticed by Medaglia d' Oro to Darley in 2020. Pedigree seems pretty good.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:59 pm

madelyn wrote:I see Verrazano and Astrology have left the bluegrass. What other youngsters have been banished?

Spendthrift's Can the Man will stay in Australia, at least for now from what I hear.
Shawklit Won.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:56 pm

Hm. I see also that Data Link was pensioned?? He was only out there five seasons I think.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:37 pm

Flameaway by Scat Daddy to Darby Dan Farm in 2020. Fee is $7500.
Shawklit Won.

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:22 pm

I wonder how Lane's End will price Catalina Cruiser?

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:25 pm

pfrsue wrote:I wonder how Lane's End will price Catalina Cruiser?

His fee will be 20K in 2020.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:32 pm

madelyn wrote:Yes I see that - but at a 5K fee I don't know what export potential he has.

Let me rephrase my original question. So I know it is early but I'm interested in knowing opinions on who the Hot Great Value new sires for local breeders hoping to run the foal in KY, IN or OH will be in 2020 in KY?

If you are breeding for the racetrack and not the sales ring, the trouble with new sires are that you don't know who will flop and who will do well. As far as looking to grind out a profit on the tracks in NY, IN, or OH, then I think that Tale of Ekati might be a good choice, even though he is not new to stud.

With a fee of only 5K, someone could probably make some money even if the foal is only good enough to race in claiming races, and if you are lucky, you might get a Girvin ($1,624,000), or a Verve's Tale (636K), or a Tale of Verve (500K), or a Tale of S'avall (364K).

Of course, I am no expert on these things, but it just seems that way to me. If you could get a horse to get through the allowance conditions in a small track like Finger Lakes, for instance, you could probably make some money with a horse.
Shawklit Won.