EPM- any thoughts??

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

doublete
Allowance Winner

EPM- any thoughts??

Postby doublete » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:59 am

My 3 y/o colt's blood test just came back positive, and since he is showing positive clinical neurological signs as well my vet and I have decided rather than do a spinal tap, we're goign to treat with Marquis. She suggested putting him on a Vit E supp as well. Going to get that now.
I discussed diet, she said high fat is good. Rice bran oil and Triple Crown complete is what I have him on. Is that ok or is there something better? I'm going to look today at the feed store.

Other than that, Im getting his shoes pulled this week and I dont know what else to do. I love this horse- he won his last race and then fractured his leg, so the darn horse doesn't have any luck.
Racing and retraining.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:40 pm

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear that! I wish you and your baby all the best luck. He's lucky to have an owner who is taking good care of him through all of his problems.

As for a high fat feed, I really like Buckeye's Ultimate Finish. I have tried other fat supplements, but my hardest keepers still didn't show much improvement. However, even my hardest hard keepers gained weight and condition, as well as have a fabulous healthy shine, on just a small amount of Ultimate Finish... just one person's opinion.

Please keep us posted on his progress!

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:07 pm

Wow Doublete, not glad to hear he tested positive. :(

Other than the Marquis and the Vitamin E supplement, I believe I've read at one time on the COTH forum where reducing the level of stress is helpful for recovery. Of course, how do we define stress? :)

It sounds as though you've caught it very early and in cases where it's treated w/minimal clinical signs the prognosis is good. Thank goodness you recognized his 'ab-normal' behavior.

As for diet, as you are aware, I've fed Triple Crown myself for years up until 6 weeks ago. With all the problems I encountered w/my stud and his in-ability to gain weight, no matter how much Triple Crown he was fed (and all the hay he can eat!), I am now having the most remarkable luck after having taken him 'back to basics'.

Rice bran is the most convenient way to go, but you have to be careful not to upset the Calcium/Phosphoros balance (and rice bran can do that). You know what you're doing and I know you'll determine the best avenue to take w/this youngster. My best wishes to you and the brood!! (Hmmm- give that other handsome dude a hug from me!).

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:57 pm

Marli-
Thanks.
I had read about your change in feed, and had thought about changing over. But now I'm reading research on EPM saying that some feed can be exposed to the protozoa, but the commercial cereal grains undergo the high heat treatment that kills it off. So I don't see myself changing now that I know this.
Racing and retraining.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:01 pm

Hi doublete

Your vet probably told you that there are a lot of false positives...and yes a spinal tap will confirm the status...

but I agree with you and your vet...go for it PROMPTLY...without delay.

As you know, EPM can potentially cause devastating neurological damage...I believe your vet will agree that time is of the essence...because to the best of my knowledge any central nervous system damage (resulting from EPM) prior to treatment will not benefit from Marquis.

Marquis seems to be a GREAT product. Yes it is a bit pricy but results are quite phenomenal.

Don't waste a minute...I expect your vet has recommended same.

I wish you and your beloved colt a very good result.

Best

Respectfully

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:19 pm

Doublete,

In the last 5-6 years I've had two mares come down with EPM. Both were treated immediately and aggressively with Marquis and another product (?); both have since returned to 98% normal and both have become regular producers with no problems conceiving or carrying foals. Act promptly and you can expect the best results. Good luck.

Jenarby
Allowance Winner

Postby Jenarby » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:03 pm

Hey girl,
I'm sorry to hear that the result came back positive. I know we all were crossing our fingers for you.

As I said before, Addie's case was treated early with Marquis. She was on it for 3 months. Aside froma funky ear/eye twitch when she's really stressed, she's pretty much back to herself.

I second Roguelet on the Ultimate Finish. Although it's hard to find Buckeye dea;ers when you are not real close to the buckeye state.

Another suggestion...a new feed by Purina called, "Ultium." We used it on a very nervous, skinny mare. She's a HORRIBLE weaver. She drops weight if you look at her the wrong way. She has absolutely blossomed on this feed. We saw a huge change in only 2 weeks. I'm not completely sure on the fat content, but it's packed with all sorts of good stuff. Might be worth a look up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:51 pm

Hey everyone-
Thanks for the good thoughts.

Yes, upon speaking to my vet this afternoon when we got the blood test results, I called Valley Vet, placed an order for Marquis, ordered it for next day air, my vet called in the script immediately and it was shipped today so it will be here in time to start treatment tomorrow.
I think he may hve had this already for a period of time, but I'm hoping that the treatment will still be somewhat successful. It's sad that I dont think he'll ever return to the happy race machine that he was. In 3 starts he had a 3rd and a win (both in MSW). So he was a very good racehorse- his last start was his win and it was darn impressive. Both horses he beat are runnign Allowance now. He's still a colt, but I'm not sure his breeding is good enough. His dam doesnt' seem to have produced much, but his second dam does have a stakes winner and I believe she herself was a stakes winner.
But he's a darn cute horse and if his future is to be a low level dressage horse, or even the one that I jump on and trail ride (he loved going through the fields- he was broke by a lady in KY that would gallop in the fields) then so be it.

I'm going to look up Ultimate Finish and Ultium and see whether I can get either, and how it compares to what he is on now.
Racing and retraining.

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:03 pm

I joined the EPM group and they're saying that it's fairly easy to rule out the other viral possibilities (EHV, WNV)... so I guess when I talk to the vet in the am I may ask her to come out and do that.
Racing and retraining.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:34 pm

doublete

I'm not so sure your colt may not be back to his old-self in relatively short order.

Don't be so quick to right him off as a race horse...you may be very pleasantly surprised.

Hopefully the EPM (if in fact that's what it is) was caught very early and he will be the beneficiary of some GREAT results.

Marquis is quite an exceptional product.

Good luck

Respectfully

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:32 am

Katie,

Your horse may be able to return to the track. Ive known some horses that had EPM be able to make it back to the track and perform almost as if they never had EPM. But some horses never make it back so there is hope.

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:41 am

Thanks for the words of hope-
The Marquis just arrived and I'll be heading to the tack shop to get MSM to start him on, I have Vit E and Probiotics as well. So He'll be getting what they've recommended.. Just trying to figure out if rice bran oil works the same as corn oil or not. (someone recommended 1/4 c of corn oil to aid in absorption).
Racing and retraining.

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:12 pm

Doublete,

It's funny you should bring that up as I recently discovered in all the reading (for ulcers) as well as weight gain, that by far, still the best proven method to add calories via fat is with the use of oil. I've always had too many reservations when it comes to Rice Bran (and the upset of Phospherous/Calcium) and the addition of oil will not effect that. As for absorption, it's commonly the practice to supplement w/either Vitamin C or Ester-C to deliver into their system quicker. I've never heard of oil for absorption (it actually can 'coat') unless this is something totally new. :)

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:16 pm

I sat in the tack store just a few minutes ago and purchased MSM, staring at the Vit C trying to figure out if I should get it.

I may go back to get feed anyways tomorrow, so I might pick it up then.

but there are a lot of articles on epm that suggest giving corn oil.. no idea why.
Racing and retraining.

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:19 pm

Wanted to ask - are you using my old vet (L.W.)

Didn't know if you had this fella in Pa., or at your home. I have a very good feeling that he's going to recover pronto - I think the worse situations happen when the owner(s) don't recognize a difference in the horse. I dunno, it sure seems like you're one of the vets best customers :( How's your other big handsome dude Nero doing? :)