NEW BROODMARE!!!

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

madelyn

NEW BROODMARE!!!

Postby madelyn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:59 am

I am just over the moon. I got in a gorgeous broodmare today that I am just thrilled to have. She is 9 going 10 and has had two foals and is breeding sound. I have also got the 2016 Misremembered filly here to rehab from shins and a tendon. The 2018 Flashback colt is at the training center - I will pop in to see him next week. The mare is Diamonds are Blue, by Bluegrass Cat. She is tail female to Mumtaz and is from the immediate family of Crafty C.T.

While I got her for Thabit, I do love to dream a bit - if she was yours what nice stallion in Lexington would you pick and why?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Re: NEW BROODMARE!!!

Postby Tappiano » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:42 pm

Madelyn
There is no reported foal in 2018.
She didn't produce a 2015 foal when bred to Misremembered in 2014.
2016 is the foal you mentioned unplaced in two starts
2017 no foal bred again to Misremembered.
2018 nothing reported to the JC
2019 not bred.

Good luck with her.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Interesting. The fellow who had her at his farm had her 2018 colt who he thought was by Flashback. It may not have been reported live yet. I will follow up tomorrow.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:34 am

Actually I confirmed this morning that Diamonds In Blue was bred to Flashback 6/12/17 and was reported in foal so I'm sure the colt that was by her side this year was (a) her foal and (b) by Flashback.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:37 am

That's great. Did you find out why they didn't report a live foal to the JC? Do breeders avoid reporting a live foal to get out of paying the stud fee?
Given her every other year of foaling you should be in a great place for 2020.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:26 pm

I think it's more a case of falling through the cracks. The owner just wants out of the lot. Since I had put down my old and infirm broodmares at the end of the summer I was in a position of wanting One More Broodmare.

Diamonds Are Blue is a big grand-looking chestnut mare with a great shoulder and hip, definitely favoring the Thunder Gulch in her pedigree. I love her pedigree for a broodmare with the 3x4 Storm Bird, the 4x4 Mr P through Gulch and Get Lucky, and All That Northern Dancer.

The Misremembered filly is a Very Big Girl and a very good looking filly who might have just been a bit too big to run at 2. According to the groom that took care of her she has a lot of talent. The two starts are not indicative since she was suffering from shins at the time and just could not outrun them.

jpshindel
Newborn

Postby jpshindel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:19 am

That's a very nice mare - congrats!

If the stud fee were no object, I would send her to Candy Ride. He's crossed very well with mares from Storm Cat and his sons, perhaps helped out because he brings Blushing Groom on the bottom (which has a long-known and very successful nick with Storm Cat and Nijinsky II (who is bred very similarly to Storm Bird)).

Midnight Lute is another good option (and more budget friendly!). Also a good cross with Storm Cat and generally underrated as a sire IMO.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:49 pm

Why thanks so much! I had really got her for my fellow, Thabit, I like the Mr Greeley with Storm Cat and he has all that Northern Dancer on the bottom. If I get my deepest wish and my farm sells, I plan to relocate to S. Ohio and there are a few good sons of Candy Ride in Ohio for $2K. I probably can't afford either Candy Ride OR Midnight Lute but I could always look for a son of either.

jpshindel
Newborn

Postby jpshindel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:23 am

Makes sense--good luck with her, Thabit, and all of your horses!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:09 am

Thanks again! Thabit's very first foal is a big stunning filly named Smokin Hot Number. She's had two starts (the first was a schooling race, she got a bad ride and hated the surface throw that one out) and did well 2nd out MSW 5 on the grass to get beat 8.5 lengths. I think she is really a turf miler but we might go 5 on grass one more time for the fitness..