What's your funniest stories

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

perryT200
Weanling

What's your funniest stories

Postby perryT200 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:02 am

I seriously don't understand horse people.

And some the stuff I've already heard is mind boggling.

The owner wanted the trainer to drop a couple horses a so they would get a win and he would get a picture. So the trainer did.

The exercise rider (also an owner, trainer) asked if they could bring a couple back from the track because he was going to claim a couple nags.

They said sure. Plenty of room on the trailer.

Exercise rider claimed both of their horses.

madelyn

Re: What's your funniest stories

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:35 am

perryT200 wrote:...The owner wanted the trainer to drop a couple horses a so they would get a win and he would get a picture. So the trainer did.

This is very common. It's a time and money thing. Horses not cashing checks are burning up the training bill.

perryT200 wrote:...The exercise rider (also an owner, trainer) asked if they could bring a couple back from the track because he was going to claim a couple nags.

They said sure. Plenty of room on the trailer.

Exercise rider claimed both of their horses.

This is NOT common. Unless they had an understanding. At the training center where mine are, it is common for a trainer, whose owner has an eye on another trainer's horse to claim, to alert the other trainer. Once alerted if the trainer scratches the horse, they wanted to keep it. If they didn't then it might not be a good claim.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

perryT200
Weanling

Postby perryT200 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:49 pm

I might be SE of St Louis, but I'm still in Illinois. Somethings are just the Chicago way.

My favorite is a guy had a yearling wild as a March Hare he was going to take to auction. It didn't even have a halter on it.

He backed a two horse trailer in the barn and and put all the feed and hay in the trailer for a few weeks. Day before didn't feed off. Morning before the sale he dropped the gate and the yearling ran right in to eat. From the side he was able to get a halter on it.

Made sure to back in well inside the gate at the auction and drop the gate. Yearling went out like a house a fire. When they finally got it cornered somebody yelled, "is this thing even halter broke?" And the guy yelled back "It's got a halter on doesn't it?"

perryT200
Weanling

Postby perryT200 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:38 am

I really should have lead with this.

And yes alcohol was involved but in alcohols defense I've done a lot of stupid stuff sober.

About 25 years ago a buddy's brother had a couple standardbreds. The big talk started and he saddled one up.

About this time I am ten foot tall and bullet proof.

A pure English saddle. (I should have asked about some differences, but nah)

While I weigh more than I did 25 years ago, I'm still 6'4". So when this thing starts to get to top speed I lay out on it.

Ya know, I'd never heard of breakaway stirrups. It might have been a useful piece of information to know.

So at full speed suddenly there isn't any pressure on my right foot. I look back and watch the iron slide off my shoe and hit the horses leg. I swear it could have been a professional baseball player.

It was like it touched first base and was headed for second. I looked back up and there was nothing. No horn (English saddle). No mane. No ears. No horse.

My superman imitation looked really good for the first 5 yards. Then I hit the ground. My buddy thought I was dead. I rolled over and said "man this wrist hurts", then I said "man this wrist hurts too" On the big bone I broke both balls right across the wrist joint. Nothing out of place just had to wear those canvas and steel splints for awhile.

The next day my secretary asks about the story and asks me what she can do to help. I have to admit I can't button my pants. My wrists are broke. Now she was a matronly lady, had kids close to my age. But for some odd reason the pants that day also had that second button that goes to that flap thingy. I jumped back when she asked if I wanted her to get that one too.

It gets better.

So the day after that I have to fill my Percocet prescription(pills from the Dr ran out). The guy at the counter asks if I want some mineral oil to go with it. I ask him why. He says Percocet has a tendency to lock you up, I held up both my arms in splints and said, "I really haven't figured out how I'm going to wipe my *** yet so I guess not.

I had colic for three days. Then it sounded like I was dropping marbles in the toilet bowl, but by then I could wipe myself.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:09 am

In a way it might be fortunate there was alcohol involved. You were probably pretty relaxed when you hit the ground. You might have been really seriously injured otherwise.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....