Back to Pedigree Query
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:19 pm 
Grade I Winner

Interesting!! :D

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-66232-1?fbclid=IwAR3Wm43WEfgun-Cf9TWEH8ThF8AGrXL1d0TdcoBgr7AxpbwStKZ7E1FjE-k

Quote:
Also, contrary to popular belief, we could detect no significant genomic contribution of the Arabian breed to the Thoroughbred racehorse, including Y chromosome ancestry. However, we found strong evidence for recent interbreeding of Thoroughbreds with Arabians used for flat-racing competitions.

Quote:
Finally, we identified undocumented relationships between the Thoroughbred breed and the modern Arabian that are contrary to breed registry regulations and dispute long-held myths. Although celebrated in many historical accounts20,36, the three “Arabian” sires recorded as the main male founders of the Thoroughbred breed (the “Darley Arabian”, “Godolphin Arabian” and “Byerley Turk”) were likely individuals of other Oriental horse populations, and the Arabian breed appears to have contributed little to the autosomal genomic content of the modern Thoroughbred (Fig. 3).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:38 am 

There is a lot of physical similarity between the TB and the Akhal Teke. Also it would be a source of the "color" genes. Course it could have been some Akhal Teke foundation mares in there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:11 am 
Grade I Winner

I agree—seems obvious now, when looking at some of the more rangier Thoroughbreds.

Akhal-Tekes are so exotic and my dream horse breed. Their unique coats are amazing! I would love to own one if I lived somewhere other than wintery New England... :D