Back to Pedigree Query
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Made You Look
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:47 pm 
Grade I Winner

Shawklit Won wrote:
Joltman wrote:
In this market they could probably go to the connections, offer $75k outright and get him. I say that because given the falloff of auction prices, it will follow the flow through the rest of the breeding season. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stud fees were not 'firm' until after KeeNov when stallion owners will see if there's much of a market at all. Or deals galore. And to try to start an unproven stallion without a lot of buzz would be nigh to impossible. There are probably dozens of regional stallions that could do very well, but the number of breeders and mares bred will continue to drop for at least another year. It's a tough time to sink a lot of unproven $$$ in this game - not tat it's ever an easy time.

I've thought heretofore that if Monongahela went to stud I might try him. Last of the Princequillo line I think. A G3 GSW as well. But will likely never be among the best, and hence overlooked as a stud prospect.

jm

Thanks. Interesting post, and probably correct. I am glad that Made You Look has won a couple of graded stakes. Looks like he needs all the help he can get. Maybe they will try to run him for another year, his 7 year old season.

Monongahela is a son of Mineshaft. He does have Princequillo in his pedigree.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:26 pm 
Allowance Winner

Joltman wrote:
Shawklit Won wrote:
Joltman wrote:
In this market they could probably go to the connections, offer $75k outright and get him. I say that because given the falloff of auction prices, it will follow the flow through the rest of the breeding season. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stud fees were not 'firm' until after KeeNov when stallion owners will see if there's much of a market at all. Or deals galore. And to try to start an unproven stallion without a lot of buzz would be nigh to impossible. There are probably dozens of regional stallions that could do very well, but the number of breeders and mares bred will continue to drop for at least another year. It's a tough time to sink a lot of unproven $$$ in this game - not tat it's ever an easy time.

I've thought heretofore that if Monongahela went to stud I might try him. Last of the Princequillo line I think. A G3 GSW as well. But will likely never be among the best, and hence overlooked as a stud prospect.

jm

Thanks. Interesting post, and probably correct. I am glad that Made You Look has won a couple of graded stakes. Looks like he needs all the help he can get. Maybe they will try to run him for another year, his 7 year old season.

Monongahela is a son of Mineshaft. He does have Princequillo in his pedigree.

Oops! Sorry! Just finally noticed my ridiculous mistakes here.

I had Monongahela mixed up with Mongolian Groom, who is a son of Hightail, who is a son of Mineshaft.

Monongahela is a son of K One King, who is from the Princequillo sire line.

I think that I finally got it right.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:00 pm 
Allowance Winner

There are a couple of races at Colonial Downs on the 26th of August that may be good spots for Made You Look. One is the 9F Williamsburg Overnight Handicap with a purse of 45K and the 5.5F Da Hoss Stakes with a purse of 50K. If Made You Look is finding stakes and allowance races at the big tracks too difficult to win these days, and small track allowance races are not open to him, then races like these might be the answer for him, even though he is past his best now.

People probably forget just how fast a horse Made You Look was starting out. He broke his maiden with a 6F time of 1:08:23 in only his 2nd race as a 2 year old. In his first race, he finished 2nd in a 5F race with a winning time of :55 and change. He won a grade 2 stakes race at age 2 with a time of 1:35 and change for a mile.

Though he has lost some of his speed, I suspect that he would be very competitive in both of those races at Colonial Downs on the 26th of August. I think the purses would be enough to be worth shipping Made You Look to the Virginia race track.

I suspect that Made You Look's handlers would prefer to try the 1 Mile 300K Tapit Stakes on September 9th at Kentucky Downs. Might be worth a try.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:37 pm 
Allowance Winner

Shawklit Won wrote:
There are a couple of races at Colonial Downs on the 26th of August that may be good spots for Made You Look. One is the 9F Williamsburg Overnight Handicap with a purse of 45K and the 5.5F Da Hoss Stakes with a purse of 50K. If Made You Look is finding stakes and allowance races at the big tracks too difficult to win these days, and small track allowance races are not open to him, then races like these might be the answer for him, even though he is past his best now.

People probably forget just how fast a horse Made You Look was starting out. He broke his maiden with a 6F time of 1:08:23 in only his 2nd race as a 2 year old. In his first race, he finished 2nd in a 5F race with a winning time of :55 and change. He won a grade 2 stakes race at age 2 with a time of 1:35 and change for a mile.

Though he has lost some of his speed, I suspect that he would be very competitive in both of those races at Colonial Downs on the 26th of August. I think the purses would be enough to be worth shipping Made You Look to the Virginia race track.

I suspect that Made You Look's handlers would prefer to try the 1 Mile 300K Tapit Stakes on September 9th at Kentucky Downs. Might be worth a try.

Just found out that there might be an 85K stakes race at Saratoga called the Lure Stakes on the 7th of September for horses that have not won a stakes race this year. With his graded stakes wins, Made You Look could probably enter that one if his handlers want him to. It would probably be an easier spot than the 300K Tapit Stakes at Kentucky Downs. Besides that, Made You Look is probably still at Saratoga where his last race was. One clue could be where his next workout is. If it is at Saratoga, then the Lure Stakes might be his next race.