Keeping weight on

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Des
Allowance Winner

Keeping weight on

Postby Des » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:56 am

My 3yr old gelding seems to have problems keeping his weight. He eats well but just won't maintain his weight for some reason. Any suggestions on what I could feed. His coat is fine looks fine but he just looks thin.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Re: Keeping weight on

Postby Mood Swings » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Is he in training? Could be as simple as he's burning more calories than he is getting in feed so you would need to increase the amount of grain. Depending on the amount you are feeding, he might benefit more from adding a third grain meal . Has he had a fecal lately? Heavy parasite burdens can cause weight loss. He could also have ulcers, you could have him scoped ($200-$300) or you could just go ahead and treat him with Gastro-guard or a compounded form of omeprazole.

Hope that is helpful.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:12 am

Hi Mood Swings,

Yes he is in training. He started losing weight and I checked his teeth with were very bad and we got that fixed, then he started eating up and put some weight on. He has not been able to maintain the weight though. I also did ask the vet to take some blood but she said he coat looked good and she did not think that would be necessary to do that. I have ordered some ulcer guard and weight builder for him. Hopefully that will do the trick. Have also stepped up his feed and he's doing more jogging than gallops in the morning.

Thanks again

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:51 am

Sending you a PM.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:47 am

I would recommend giving him one scoop of soaked beet pulp with his evening meal; you could also throw in 1/2 cup of flax seeds to ratchet up the fat content. Note that if you soak the beet pulp properly it doubles in size so it actually ends up being two scoops. I also give mine each 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar. If you do this, you will get no ulcers and never need ulcer guard. Another thing, though, to analyze is the protein in the diet. Too MUCH protein can strip the horse. The beet pulp provides tons of carbs and low protein to balance it out. For more clues, check the smell of his urine. If there is the faintest chemical smell, he is not dealing well with either too much sugar or too much protein.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:17 pm

damn thats good stuff Madelyn

jlm
Newborn

Postby jlm » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Feeding fat (like the weight builder you mentioned) should help. I like Purina's Amplify nuggets for my hard keeping ones- typically see good results within a few weeks. Also smart to look into the gastric ulcers or a trial of Ulcergard or Gastrogard- treat at the higher dose to start, then taper down to the maint. dose. Best of luck!

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:36 pm

Had not logged in a while, but I am very happy to say that after he gained his weight back he broke his maiden on September 2. The soaked Beet Pulp diet and other weight feed certainly did it. He is holding his weight thus far and is doing very well... Thanks

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Des -
Just want to say two things: 1) really glad to hear your guy has gained back his weight and is maintaining that weight while in race training; 2) and CONGRATULATIONS on his breaking his maiden!
The best news of all and greatest clue that a horse is keeping well is the demonstration that he is running well!

P/S - also it's very nice that you provided the feedback on the input you sought here.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:50 am

:D Very happy to hear of your success!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....