Back to Pedigree Query
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Female family numbers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:58 pm 
Grade III Winner

They used to be in the free information at the top of the page on pedigrees. Now my browser doesn't show them.

Is that I am still using XP, or has PQ removed that bit of free information?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:45 pm 
Breeder's Cup Winner

They're not showing up right now in any browser or OS version that I've tried.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:28 pm 
Grade III Winner

I hope that useful feature is finally being updated to incorporate the multiple pedigree anomalies revealed by Dr. Emmeline Hill's mitochondrial DNA research project at Trinity College, Ireland. Those findings were published 15 years ago in "Animal Genetics" under the title of "History and Integrity of Thoroughbred Dam Lines Revealed in Equine mtDNA Variation." I've yet to see the study's findings utilized to create a single, cogent reorganization of the Bruce Lowe female families. If such exists, I'd appreciate a link to it.

ahr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:54 pm 
Breeder's Cup Winner

Patuxet wrote:
I hope that useful feature is finally being updated to incorporate the multiple pedigree anomalies revealed by Dr. Emmeline Hill's mitochondrial DNA research project at Trinity College, Ireland. Those findings were published 15 years ago in "Animal Genetics" under the title of "History and Integrity of Thoroughbred Dam Lines Revealed in Equine mtDNA Variation." I've yet to see the study's findings utilized to create a single, cogent reorganization of the Bruce Lowe female families. If such exists, I'd appreciate a link to it.

ahr

I hope that up-to-date mtDNA results will eventually be added here too. Hill's findings were based upon analysis of a tiny fragment of the mitochondrial genome. That was acceptable when they published (2002) but has since been recognized as woefully insufficient to adequately define haplotypes. What they classed as a single haplotype ("F") is actually 5 different haplotypes. Etc.

See this thread including the most recent post on page 2. The info mentioned there that should be out this year will bring the record of the TB female families into far more precise focus than any previously published TB mtDNA report. And I'll bet that you're going to find that error in 23-b does indeed go all the way back to Lizzie G. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:35 pm 
Grade III Winner

Thanks, PZ, for directing me to that excellent thread. Its content far exceeded its genesis which, prompted by a personal prejudice, I'd too hastily dismissed out of hand.